friends from college

∘☽༓☾∘

forgive them for not being what they weren't meant to be.

∘☽༓☾∘

∘☽༓☾∘

2023 — Toulouse, France

The soft melodies of Amour Plastique filled the air of the plant-filled bookstore on the corner of Rue Pargaminières and Rue Alexis-Larrey. Paroles de la Terre et du Ciel was a quaint shop that had been thriving for decades. With its sky blue shutters and overflowing window pots, one couldn't help but feel at home. The owners certainly helped with the welcoming aura.

Sure people found it strange that the owners never seemed to age but no one openly questioned it. The blonde girl and her dark-haired partner, not much was truly known about the seeming couple. While they spoke of sharing a last name, no romantic ties were ever expressed and they looked far too different to be related.

Yes, Cybele and Nerak Babin were an enigma to the people of Toulouse.

"Je ne pense à toi que quand le jour sombre, que s'abattent sur moi..." the airy voice of Cybele carried through the air from her spot hidden within the bookshelves. She had been tucked away in the back for the past two hours, speaking with the small black cat that kept sneaking into the store. 

"Bele? Bele? Where are you damnit..." Nerak called out from the front counter, "Annette, s'il te plaît, surveille le registre pour moi. Merci." (Annette, please watch the register for me. Thank you)

Cybele smiled at the sounds of her friend's steps growing near though she never turned around, simply smiled at the small creature in front of her, "What is it Nik?" 

"You said you were going to check for the story Miss Sylvie asked for but never came back, I had just assumed you never found it and put in an order form for it..." He trailed off upon noticing the cat that sat perched upon a stack of books, "So this is why you never returned?"

The blonde chuckled as she stroked the cat, humming in content as the animal pressed itself further into her touch, "It is always nice to make a new friend Nik."

Nerak rolled his eyes, a small teasing smile on his lips, "And here I thought I was the only friend you needed."

Cybele turned to her companion, "Do not fret my dearest Nerak, it is still you and I until the end of time."