Chapter Thirteen

"Marie, it is me!" Manoy says.

"Manoy. Oh, Manoy. What has happened to you?" I ask while giving him a hug.

"I am fine," he says smiling. "Just a little bit beaten up."

"Where's Nando?" I ask.

"I don't know Marie. I was not in the same cell as him. I am sorry," he says.

"You don't have anything to be sorry about Manoy. He is your best friend and I know that he's alive. I can feel it," I reply.

"I know. He is one strong mule," he says. "Yeah," I reply.

"Ahem," someone coughs behind me. "I don't know about you guys but we have to get going. It is almost sunset and it will be too dark for us to travel," Lucas says.

"Sorry. Manoy, this is Lucas and Patricia. They helped me escape," I say. "I know. I have worked with their family before," he says.
"You guys go ahead. I have to find Nando," I say.

"No, you have to go and find Fredo and everyone. Some of them are probably out there already trying to find us so you must find them and tell them where we are. Okay Marie?" Manoy says.

"Ok." I sigh. "See you soon."
"See you soon, weird gal," he says smiling. Lucas, Patricia, start to walk.

"Watch out!" Lucas says. He makes Patricia and I duck. Then, Lucas shoots the man in uniform. I can't comprehend what just happened. Patricia and Lucas grab me and drag me out of harm's way.

"You have to be careful, Marie and be attentive," Patricia reminds me. "I am sorry. It's just I am not used to this," I reply.
"Come, we will go this way," Lucas and Patricia say.
"Okay."

I follow them and it hits me. There is a closeness between them.

"Wait, so you guys were together?" I ask.

"No!" both of them yell at the same time. I look at them, raising my eyebrows.

"She was helping me court her cousin, Hermogena There was a misunderstanding with the family," Lucas explains.

"What do you mean? How?" I say.

"Well, before performing my song to Hermogena, I had to ask someone to critique my work. Who is better than critiquing my song other than Patricia herself, cousin of Hermogena. I was

singing in front of her and imagining that it was Hermogena whom I was singing to. But then Hermogena with their family heard me come down from their house and right that moment it looked like I was courting her," Lucas says.

"And with my father being strict, Lucas and I had no choice but to pretend like we liked each other and dating each other when on the inside we couldn't stand one another. Then, I decided to dump him. Well, fake dump him," Patricia says.

"It was going well. I don't why you had to do that," Lucas says looking at her.

"I had to find my own partner too. I couldn't just keep pretending while you were getting close with Hermogena. I had a boy courting me and I quite liked him that time," Patricia says.

"Still, you should've stuck with our deal!" Lucas says.

"I did but I was at age to marry and my parents were pressuring me. That's why I married Alberto. I am sorry I couldn't help you be with Hermogena longer, but my time was ticking, and it worked out right after that anyways. You were courting her after I got married," Patricia explains herself.

"That's the point Patricia. You were supposed to help me until Hermogena and I could be together. She was supposed to get jealous from watching us but of course you didn't do your part and went to him!" Lucas says spitting out the word "him".