Ch.1 ~ Atlanta Pt.1

OC Honourable Mentions

Peter Dawson

Sarah Mason

Miguel Johnson

Tania Rheed

Nathan Lancaster

Captain Lane

Captain Jackson

~~~

Y/N's POV

"Johnson, how far out are we?"

"Estimated 6 miles from Atlanta Captain"

"Good, let's try to get there asap the sooner we get this over with the sooner we can get home."

"Yes Ma'am."

"Okay guys list up. No one has any idea what this ... disease is. So I want you all to stay calm and avoid contact with anyone who looks sick and avoid being bitten. Is that clear?"

"Ma'am yes Ma'am."

"Remember Atlanta... The US isn't the only country to be hit with this disease. France, Germany, Russia, Greece, England and many more have suffered from this virus. Fortunately it hasn't made it into Wales ...Yet... but it's only a matter of time. Frankly I'm pissed our superiors are sending us out to help when we should be back home locking down the country but such isn't the case. Look, I know a lot of you only see me as a Captain but to me you're family, okay we're in this together, we all have some sort of family we want to get back to so let's do what we can and when things get out of hand we'll retreat. Stay close and stay strong my Reluctant Heroes."

I look at the faces of each of my soldiers knowing some won't be able to come home. Being a front line soldier isn't all it's cracked up to be and by the time nightfall's I'll be returning home with a bunch of name tags that'll get added to the bottom drawer in my office.

"Ma'am may I speak freely?"

"Permission granted, what's up Dawson?"

"Y/n you and I have been friends since we were cadets competing to get top marks on our monthly evaluation and as someone who knows you as well as one can and knowing my fellow soldiers, I think I speak on behalf of us all when I say you're more than a Captain. You're a friend."

"An ally." Chimes Rheed.

"A shoulder to cry on." Says Lancaster.

"DEFINITELY THE MUM OF THE GROUP!" Johnson shouts from the front of the jet.

"We all see each other as family and as your left hand man I'd like to say thank you for always showing us strength even when you were suffering." Dawson looks at me and we both share a small smile.

"You're like a sister to me Y/n, I'm sure your dad and Harvey are so proud of you and praying for your safe return." Mason finishes as I look at the faces of all 50 of my soldiers.

"Wow guys that's... When did I say you could get sappy on me?" A round of chuckles breaks out among my men. "Thanks though and I just have one more thing to say."

"Go ahead." Sarah, my right hand says.

"Over the years since I joined the army I lost so many friends but never forgot them. I'm sure you're aware not all of us will get to go home but if by chance I go down Sarah and Peter I'm sure I can rely on you to get everyone still alive out but I have one request. My name tag on my vest and any others who you find dead. Take them back with you and put them with the others in the bottom drawer of my desk, that way part of me will lay with my fallen comrades and if by chance Skylla survives and Harvey returns, make sure to give her to him as a parting gift. He knows her and I are inseparable, if not then I'm trusting her to whoever takes over next."