Ch.30 ~ Maggies First Run in With Death

3rd Person POV

'The barn... the mother fucking barn was filled with walkers.' All night since he'd told Maggie to meet him there, Glenn had had this one thought running over and over in his mind.

'The barn was filled with walkers.' They had slept next to a death trap and Maggie and her family were okay with that. Hell she'd even made him swear to keep quiet about it. Glenn was a horrible liar.

That next morning after Daryl and Skylla came trotting out the house to spend the day resting in his tent, Glenn stood watch from their camp at the small circle of trees. But no matter how hard he tried he couldn't keep his gaze off the barn.

He'd seen Patricia go down there presumably to feed them and that's it. No other movement at the barn.

"Could you be more obvious?" Maggie's hushed voice came from beside him, startling the boy. "Here, enjoy." The short haired girl said, dropping a basket of peaches on the ground at his feet.

"You trying to buy my silence with fruit?" Glenn asked in disbelief.

"Of course not. There's also jerky." She corrected.

"Will you please tell me why your dad has a secret barn full of walkers?" Glenn asked, frustrated and confused by the Greene family secret. "It's creepy." He adds.

"Shhhh." Maggie tried to shush his slowly rising voice.

"You know that, right?" He then asks her.

"Sh. Just trust me on this. Ok?" Maggie's voice held an undertone of warning as she tried to keep the boy quiet.

"But I suck at lying. I can't even play poker, it's too much like lying." Glenn pleads with the women.

"You have to keep this to yourself. You have to. Please?" Maggie pushes, eyes wide with worry of what her father might do if he found out Glenn knew about the barn.

With that Maggie walked off and Glenn took the basket of food around the group, handing everyone their share, dispute his nervous state. Back in one the end tentsDaryl laid poking holes in the fly net while Skylla laid on his stomach.

"Hey." Came Andrea's voice from the tent flap. She stepped in, an apologetic smile on her face as Daryl and Skylla turned their gaze to her. "This is not that great, but, uh." She said taking a seat on the camping chair by his bed and handing him the book.

The book was from Dale's Rv, the group had passed it around each other choosing to read it as a pass time. Daryl took the book and flipped through it. "What? No pictures?" He joked.

Andrea smiled before continuing with what she came to say. "I'm so sorry. I feel like shit."

"Yeah you, me and Skylla, we all do." Daryl said, putting the book down and lifting the dog's face in his hands as he did a scratch-like stroke at her jaw and behind her ears with his fingers.

"I don't expect you to forgive me but if there is anything I can do..." Andrea goes on looking from Skylla to Daryl.

"You were trying to protect the group. We're good. Well me and you are. Don't know about this one. She seems like one to hold a grudge." Daryl teases the dog who huffed, dropping her head from his hands and nuzzling it back to his chest closing her eyes.

With a smile between the two Andrea got up to let Skylla and Daryl rest. "But hey." Daryl called once she stepped out and was about to walk away. She turned back to him and listened to what he had to say. "Shoot me again, you best pray I'm dead." Andrea smiled with a small laugh and walked off.

After Andrea left, Glenn dropped by with the peaches and jerky after his argument with Lori about her not telling Rick she was pregnant. A whole other issue on the list of issues the group was slowly adding to.