Chapter 7

It was hard working for Desmond and Kelsie was regretting leaving her ex employer Jenna. She could have been a tyrant but she had still paid her and her job didn't demand 24/7 attention.

Kelsie had one week of his meetings and schedule in advance and yet with so many incoming calls asking and enquiring about squeezing in another meet made her realize Desmond didn't get a breather either.

There were already seventy three screened calls by the time they reached the penthouse. Five of them from the list of priority clients that she had been given. Two emergency ones that he ordered her to schedule. And remaining that mostly requested for promotions, all postponed to next week. She was yet to check the mails where she had no doubt there'd be more requests piling up there.

It was not more than two complete days since Kelsie joined and she was already starting to realize how really big and famous Desmond Inc was. And in addition to that, Desmond had asked her to report to his study room sharp nine in the morning to read out the news, and report the day's schedule since she would be living in his penthouse.

When his plane touched the ground, the workers unloaded their baggage and carried it in another car to his estate. Someone must have informed them that she'd be staying in the same house. The ride back in the plane had been no problem as she had fallen asleep. It seemed James had been the only passenger awake. He was a humanoid robot, thought Kelsie.

The car ride was silent and Kelsie was no more drowsy, now that she was anxious about staying in a grand house. This would not have been a big deal if not for her real work, which was to snoop in on his business. As they drove closer, Kelsie peered outside the window, nose touching the glass. His estate was far from the busy streets, a place where paparazzi couldn't bother him.

And finally the penthouse came into view. Since it was still dark, she expected the house to be lit with dazzling lights, shining bright enough for it to be visible from far. But Kelsie hadn't spotted it until it was right in front of her. It was dark against the night sky. Even the lit windows were covered with thick large curtains. Overall, it gave an abandoned, bleak empty look.

Neither James nor Desmond acknowledged her presence when they got out of the car. They both headed inside without a word. The sun was hours away from showing up, and Kelsie wanted to take a quick nap. Just then, a short plump woman, wearing her red hair in a high bun, dressed in a uniform stepped towards her with a friendly smile welcoming her inside.

She introduced herself as the housekeeper, Margot Kennedy. And was friendly enough to make Kelsie immediately warm up to her. Not a straight-laced woman she had expected from the thirty seven year old. Kelsie was escorted around the ground floor and the first where Desmond's office and study room was located and was finally shown to her room. The house in itself was not quite what she imagined. It was spacious but lacked lustre. It was plain, neat and simple. It wasn't what you would call a stunning interior, there was no extravagant lighting, but rather very ordinary.

It didn't quite fit the personality she had thought him to possess. Perhaps she was very wrong to have simply assumed him to have had a colorful taste just because of his interest in art.

All that mattered to Kelsie was the comfy bed that awaited her in the room she was allotted. It resembled that of her previous desolate apartment except for the neatness, not to mention it was thrice the size of the whole apartment with an attached bathroom and balcony.

Kelsie stared at the balcony, wanting to go check out the view but her eyes were already shutting close and the next thing she knew the phone was ringing shrilly.

It was Margot.

"Mr. Desmond asked me to remind you to meet him in the study room at nine."

Nine...