Chapter 21

When Kelsie returned to the penthouse, the devil was standing by the door, the hawk gaze questioning her already. Unfazed she got down the car, and walked towards the entrance but of course he wouldn't let her pass so easily, not until the questions were answered. His hand on her elbow pinned her to the spot.

Sighing, she turned to him, trying to pry herself from the steel grip.

He still hadn't uttered a single word. He didn't have to. She knew what he was after.

"Michael hasn't suspected anything...Or-to be precise, he couldn't find evidence of anything yet."

"You think he'll catch up to me?"

"Yes. And I hope that day isn't very far ahead. What will you do when he does connect the dots?"

She tried to search for an emotion in his eyes- fear, anxiety, anger, anything at all. But they were unreadable. He was good at it-keeping thoughts to himself except when he wanted to intimidate someone.

However, today she was not feeling like a scared kitty anymore. In fact him stopping her gave her a chance to spit out her plans without freaking out.

"I'm going out tonight. A blind date."

He raised an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation. This was not something you would tell your employer. Especially a tyrant like Noah Desmond.

"I'm just informing you beforehand so you wouldn't send your men to follow me again and eavesdrop on our private conversation. We will be discussing nothing about you. In fact you will be the last thing on my mind tonight- hopefully. I need a desperate break from all this."

"Before you jump to conclusions, Kelsie-"

"Miss Woods!"

"Pardon-"

"I'd rather you call me that. I don't want us acting all familiar. I hate you. Period."

"Point noted. But what you feel is irrelevant. As long as you follow my rules, I will have no say in your private life. And as I was saying, before you interrupted me-" He gave a displeased look, "-I had no plans of having you followed again. I think we have come to an understanding that neither of the parties are going to have any gain in spilling the beans 'cause if you do, I will know!"

He was right. Kelsie didn't want to show her irritation. Imitating him was hard but she pulled a cool look. "And what about bugging me. Margot- I mean Claire must have better things to do than that, surely."

"I have asked her to stay put. I repeat again, and hopefully for the last time, Miss Woods. I'm giving you privacy. But if you dare continue with that insulting tone, it's very likely that I might change my mind. Do not push your luck."

Without another word, she walked away, back to the room where her belongings were temporarily put. Yes, temporarily indeed. Michael was catching up. It wouldn't be long. The FBI agent didn't really need her. But Noah seemed to have plans of his own. So, it might take a while until the tyrant could be brought down.

But at least for now, he seemed to mean the words. The room wasn't bugged anymore. She spent an hour and a half trying to find hidden cameras and listening devices.

Sighing, she slumped back on the bed.

Now, about the date...

***

Kelsie reached the restaurant earlier than the scheduled time. Twenty minutes early to be precise and every minute she was rethinking her decisions and was very close to chickening out.