Chapter 12

On the way back, Kelsie was firm about not crying. It was an embarrassment to have strangers ask if everything was alright. Besides, she had too much on her mind at the moment. The conversation had gone well with Michael, and again the two were alone but she knew Noah Desmond was aware of everything that had been exchanged between them. Just like he knew about Joan.

And now, he had her parents.

Had they traveled overnight? Were they being tortured? Why did he decide to go to such an extreme...

So many questions, and the cruel devil held all the strings in her life. She had to put an end to his unacceptable reign. She had a feeling she was missing something. Distantly, she became aware of her surroundings, and since she decided to ride a taxi, she had already reached the penthouse. And Margot was waiting at the entrance with a warm smile.

"Mr. Desmond's waiting for you in the study. Meet him once you freshen up."

She accompanied her to the bedroom again and gave her a towel when Kelsie entered the bathroom.

Splashing cold water on the face helped her relax somehow. Desmond could wait since she knew he wouldn't harm her parents now, at least not yet. He said they were at his disposal meaning he must not have hurt them. She wanted all the details immediately but there was a nagging feeling that Kelsie could ignore no more.

For several days, at the back of her mind she knew it but had somehow discarded the feeling as being foolish but she saw today, how serious Noah Desmond could get. Tying her hair up, she stared at her face in the mirror and asked herself what she was missing.

Slowly, she addressed her doubts, the small ones that started with how he knew about everything. Although Desmond gave the aura of a God he wasn't one. He couldn't just know about everything. Her parents had called a night ago and he decided to use them today for blackmail. Was this a coincidence?

Her eyes widened and gaped at herself.

Is my phone hacked?

Exciting the bathroom, almost tripping as she did so, she rushed to her bag which had been discarded on the bed. Withdrawing her phone, she tapped the screen twice, entered the password and it came alive. She swiped the screen, went through several apps, checked the settings and chat boxes. It looked pretty much the same as ever.

How did one know if a phone was hacked?

Feeling stupid, she reached for the laptop and typed her doubt. About a couple of minutes later, after reading several articles and going through her phone again, she realized she had jumped to the wrong conclusion.

That popped up another doubt. Funny how once you give in to those dangerous thoughts, many follow in a line. Biting her lip nervously, she peeked up, eyes surveying the room, trying to find hidden cameras. This would be a headache. She wouldn't ever forgive him if he had invaded her privacy in such an indecent manner.

But during the middle of her search, she did find something but it wasn't a hidden camera. A small device, awkwardly fitted in between the gaps of the wall and a portrait, beside the balcony. It was so tiny, she almost missed it.

It looked nothing like a camera but more of a...

Something clicked at the back of her mind. Of course! It wasn't just the room, someone had planted a listening bug on her every single time she headed out. Such a simple means to catch her and Kelsie had thrown all caution to the wind. How stupid she was! She scolded herself for the umpteenth the same day.

There was only one person who must have helped Desmond with the cheap act. The housekeeper-Margot was overly sweet, good and had attached herself to Kelsie the moment she left or entered the house. It had to be her. Or James but he wasn't around her often. Only when Desmond was with them did the bodyguard tolerate her presence.