Chapter 26

Rain pelted against the thatched roof. The boy moved the bucket in place so the room wouldn't turn into a pool instead. His father was outside talking to the visitor and the words couldn't be heard over the sounds of rain pelting down on the streets outside. But he listened closely anyway.

He sneaked a peak at his mother lying across from him in bed sleeping. Today she had a little pink in her cheeks which was good sign. There were days she looked worse. But he was promised she was getting better soon. Only weeks now, and soon she's be up and running the house, ordering him to school.

The boy was no older than ten and was not very fond of school either, most of his friends from the other blocks said it was bad too. Instead playing football however in the rain seemed to make him feel better. But of course he couldn't spend the entire day outside for he had chores at house and there were times his dad needed him to run the strangest of the errands. 

However strange they might have been, he did not allow him anywhere close to the man who visited them today. Gordon-was his name and that was all the boy knew about him. Strangely, though his visits were much feared, things always got better at home after his visit. There were more medicines, more work and more food and money for the coming weeks. 

He was curious to see the man of many mysteries. Just one peek to satisfy his thirst, thought he even though his dad ordered him to stay put inside. 

"Noah!" He dad cried out when the boy poked his head out. However, Noah wasn't listening, he was intrigued by the handsome man before him. 

"This your son eh?" The man asked in a deep husky voice. 

"Yes." Replied the father, hesitant. 

Noah was still starting hard at the man, very much intrigued by his appearance. He was well built seven foot man. The tallest Noah had ever seen and rich too, he added as he noticed the rings on his fingers gleaming in the dull light. 

"Come here son. Noah, was it?" He asked, reaching out. Hesitantly, Noah walked closer unsure. The strong cologne hit him, and he raised his eyes past the expensive suit the man was wearing. He had caught the boy's arm now and was trying to pull him closer. Noah resisted for a moment before giving in.

"He's strong." Remarked the man. 

Noah grinned while his father furrowed his brows, almost looking unhappy. 

"You're the one running errands for your father eh?"

"Yes, sir." Replied Noah looking proud as he held his head high. This was his father employer, he wanted to make a good impression. He had planned to replace his father's position one day in the future. School never benefitted him anyway. 

"Bring him with you, perhaps the next week."

"He's only ten."

"We need more brave lads like him in our line of business. We'll see what we can make of him."

Noah's grin grew wider, having not been able to contain the happiness. He wouldn't have to wait longer. He was going to be a worker soon. Earning money and finally showing those other kids who the boss was. 

Little did he realize there would be no chance to show off. Instead, in less than a week, he was in a car heading to the local orphanage in the nearest town. 

He still couldn't comprehend the recent string of incidents. Only last night everything seemed fine, and this morning the police were at his house just as he returned from one of his errands. 

He had been dragged and questioned for three hours, asking him about his parents and the errands and what not. And three miserable hours later they bothered to inform him of his parents sudden demise. His mouth had been dry to question any further and the police hadn't bothered to reply to him either.

All he knew was that, he was to be sent to the orphanage. 

The car stopped and a elderly lady waited by the door, her eyes looking Noah up and down. Whatever she saw there, she wasn't too happy. But she led him inside and gave him fresh clothes to wear after a quick bath. When she left him at the bathroom, Noah watched her go back and share a conversation with the police man who had escorted him. 

Mechanically, he bathed in the luke warm water, and put on the fresh clothes he was handed. Clearly they belonged to someone else but were still in much better condition than those he had earlier owned. 

When the lady returned an hour later, she seemed much more pissed at Noah, as she gave the tour of the orphanage. 

"Michael here will explain all the chores. Keep an eye on him. He's dangerous." She added as she walked away shaking her head, mumbling to herself, though loud enough for both the boys to catch.

"Now, we have criminals to look after."

"What does she mean?" Asked the other boy.

"I don't know." Replied Noah honestly. He glanced at the boy, who looked about a year or two older than him. Handsome face, very clean and tidy hair swept to one side. A smile that seemed genuine. 

The words poured out of his lips, almost in a shock, still unbelievable to his own ears:

"They said my parents passed away."

Michael pressed his thin lips. "I'm sorry to hear that. It's hard, I know... But you'll get over it. C'mon let me show you to our room."

Still in a state of complete shock, Noah entered their room that they were to share with twelve other boys. It was loud, small and cramped, filled with boys of his own age, running around. For a moment, Noah realized, Michael could be right. It seemed he would indeed be fine. 

"Careful now! Keep your voices low." Michael called out. "Don't want Miss Marine stomping her foot back here again to punish us."

"Miss Marine?"

"That's the caretaker you just met. It's Miss Stella but she behaves more of a Marine than anything else."

"What's a marine?"

"Well...it's kind of like a soldier. A really good one. Strong. Better."

"Well, I want to be a marine one day."

"Yeah, sounds cool. I'd like to be an agent. Like the detectives. Catching criminals. Investigating things. I love that sort." The boy gushed, clearly excited.

"What's a detective?"

"You haven't really gone to school, have you?"

"Not really. It's boring."

"You will change your mind when you see the possibilities of what you can become with a proper education. Once I'm eighteen, I'm going to focus of scholarship to go abroad. America. I hear it's good. I have seen photos of it in the papers. I'm going to make a living there one day and marry the prettiest girl in town."

Noah looked confused but nodded. Things weren't going as he pleased but he was glad he had Michael. It felt he was already closer to the boy than he had ever been with the other kids in his block. 

And soon the thoughts of his parents were also replacing with that of fresh memories. Perhaps his life would have been better that way-past long forgotten. If only Miss Stella hadn't brought up that topic again months later.

***

Please ***vote*** if you enjoy reading this book. Thank you.