FF #5 | Chapter 9, 10, 11 & 12

Chapter 9

After dinner, Gauri was helping Anika plate the dessert. She offered to carry one tray out while Anika carried another. Her Daadi smiled. "See this is why I wanted her to stay with a family. She will learn how to run a home. Anika does it so well. I must say Kalyani you are blessed with a really nice daughter-in-law. Otherwise... "

"Daadi," Gauri spoke aloud cutting off her grandmother's gossip and rant. "This one is sugar-free." She spoke in an aspartame tone trying her best to smile. Omkara whose eyes were very smartly keeping a track on her, smiled, unnoticed. He was beginning to like her attitude around her grandmother. So artificial yet there was respect and love.

Gauri offered Tej a bowl from the same tray while he was talking to Shivaay about work. Anika and Rudra were joking about something. Her stance froze when she heard her Daadi talk in a hushed tone about looking for a husband for her. She was annoyed would be an understatement. She was living with her Daadi's terms, wasn't she? She had never done anything that would bring her so-called disgrace. Her mood was bitter. Anika offered her the last bowl on the tray she was holding.

"I am full, Di!" She kindly declined. "And I am sleepy too. I will call it a night." She turned and wished her goodnights to the family and to her grandmother walking away.

Omkara who was sitting beside his mother was very keenly observing her although very subtly. He let a few minutes pass before he greeted everyone and walked to his room. He stopped by her door which was ajar. He wondered if he should tall to her.

Yeah, right talk to her and make her feel he is interested in her. A voice kicked in his head. But, she would, perhaps, what someone to talk to. She seemed really pissed almost close to tears. Another voice argued. While he was internally debating with himself he heard her voice.

"Bhai, I am serious I will run away but not marry. I want to work and be known as Gauri. Not the granddaughter of Rathores. She expects me to wear Lucknowi Chikankari dress to work tomorrow. Like seriously! She hates Bhabhi because Bhabhi wears formal dresses and skirts to work. Why do we even listen to her? Someone needs to give her a reality check. I wish mom was alive. She'd never let Daadi decide my future. And ...Papa, he can never go against her even for the sake of his own kid. Why is our family like this? You know the Oberois..are how families should be. They don't have stupid rules to follow where the guy doesn't enter the kitchen. Only the woman serves food and eats after her husband. I really wish mom was alive."

He heard Gauri's rant followed by her sobs. She was perhaps talking to her cousin brother. Omkara didn't know she had lost her mother. He pitied her hearing her complaints. But when she broke into sobs something tugged at his heart. He was tempted to go and comfort her. He stepped away. He was a nobody in her personal life. It was better if things stayed uncomplicated.

* * *

Gauri swallowed her pride and knocked on the door of his room. She couldn't believe she was dressed in the stupid dress. Well, honestly, the dress wasn't stupid. But she'd be the odd one out in the office if she wore that to work. The fact that it was a bright red one didn't help.

Omkara opened the door. He had woken up just minutes ago, late than usual. He was going to step into the washroom for bath when the knock sounded. He was pleasantly surprised to find Gauri dressed in a pretty red dress. Ahaan, her Daadi's gift!

"Seema like someone missed me!" He teased leaning against the door, his lips forming into a playful grin. Her dear like eyes were wide staring at him.

Gauri tried hard not to look at his naked chest at display. Why couldn't he wear a shirt? She did have a look at his close to six abs when he was registering her appearance. His hair was open. Darn, he was a sight to behold.