Mark

I ushered the guys into the hotel room we were supposed to wait in only to find there was a basket of alcohol sitting on the desk. I raced to grab it, there was no way in hell anyone of us were going to drink anymore until after the wedding. I shut the door behind them and started walking down towards the lobby to return the basket. 

"This basket was in the room, we do not need any more alcohol, is there anyway to return it?" I asked the front desk "What room was it?" "1409, it's probably under the name Toby..." I was distracted by the fact that Colleen was running at me waving her arms "What?" I asked and she looked extremely frantic "hide!" I looked around "Why?" and then watched as a man stormed in to the lobby. He vaguely looked familiar and as I looked at Colleen's face I realized that this angry man storming at me had to be her father. "I didn't know we were doing this now?" I whispered still holding onto the basket full of booze "Sir what was that name?" the front desk asked and I waved him off "It doesn't matter now, apparently I'm meeting my father-in-law, I won't be here in a minute." Colleen hit me a bit but I didn't see her standing in front preparing to defend me. 

"Mark Cox! What do you mean marrying my daughter!" he was in my face, jabbing his finger in my chest "Daddy really!" Colleen cried "Stay out of this Collie, it's bad enough your sister is marrying that Toby, but at least I've seen him around for the past three years... who the hell even is this man!" I held out my hand "Mark Cox, best man, nice to meet you Mr. Calhoun." his eyes narrowed as he took my hand, squeezing it tightly to the point where it was very uncomfortable but I refused to show that. "Daddy, please stop, this is Brooke's day!" he dropped my hand "oh this may be Brooke's day but the moment those two say I do we are going to have a long talk about this, so don't even think of setting up a joint bank account Mark, I'm calling and having all of her accounts frozen." I glanced at Colleen who's eye's grew immensely "Daddy you can't do that! I make my own money, and just because Uncle Victor is head of the bank does..." he glared at her and she fell silent as he turned to look back at me shaking his head "I don't know who you think you are Mark Cox, but if I find out you have taken a cent from my Colleen, I will have you prosecuted and sitting in jail so fast it'll make you're head spin." I nodded and couldn't help but wonder just how much money Colleen has that he is so worried I'm going to take it. "Sir, all do respect but I have no interest in Colleen's money," he huffed "Sir, I don't mean to brag but... I'm the head of Cox Industries..." his whole body language changed "I suppose there is no need to call your Uncle then Collie..." she shook her head and then touched her nose wincing "do you want some ice?" I asked and she shook her head "No, no I'm fine... now Daddy, I need to go check on Brooke again, promise you'll be nice?" her dad was still pissed, I could see it in his eyes, but he could no longer accuse me of stealing her money, so there was some sort of positive I suppose. "Of course Collie, now go pamper your sister, Mark and I will talk." 

He sat across from me in the lobby tapping his foot "How often do you drink?" I shrugged "couple times a week." he huffed "and how much do you drink then?" I sighed "Sir I'm not a drunk, I have never been known to beat women or kick dogs." he flashed a small sarcastic smile "cute," I wanted nothing more than to sink into the chair, but if Colleen and I are going to do this, I can't back down from her father. She'll be interrogated just the same from my mother. "What are your hobbies?" I knew he was waiting for me to say cigars or strip clubs, something he could hold against me forever "I work most of the time sir, I don't have much time for hobbies." he scoffed "no time for hobbies and you think you have time for a wife? My Colleen was not raised to sit idly by and bake pies you know, she is never not working on her business... falls asleep reading spreadsheets, and wakes up before the sun for those weddings she plans." I nodded "I play Tennis once a week and Colleen and I know what we're getting into." he moved to sit on the edge of his seat "But I don't think you do, dating is for testing the waters and you dove head first into choppy seas with no idea of what to expect." I reluctantly nodded "we did, and I know it is not ideal, but there is something in my gut telling me this is the right decision." he rolled his eyes "then I wouldn't make any business deals Mark, I think you're coming down with the stomach flu." he got up from his chair and paused "I swear to god if I hear anything about you two being married today I will lose my mind. I have spent far too much money on this wedding for it to not go perfect... Mark I'm telling you now the only thing in your favor is that I didn't have to pay for another one of these weddings." I nodded "any good accountant will surely find away to get a few tax exemptions or credits that you could use to offset the balance when it comes time to file taxes," he looked at me nodding "I know any good accountant should, but every year I have to go to my wife's brother Mathew and I swear someone else must have taken his exams for him because he has..." he stopped talking and pointed a finger at me "Do not try and bond with me Mark, I am irritated and if I have my way you and my daughter's marriage will be resolved in two weeks."