Mark

I laid there on her couch wide awake at four in the morning, city light streaming in through her curtain less windows. I know there has to be an easy way to fix this, but I'm really not sure what it is. Our fight... it wasn't even a fight mostly just her being irrational and yelling at me. I avoided relationships because of the irrationality, They were always just a waste of time and wasted time is how you lose money, and every dollar counts.

I got off the couch and went back over to the island where I had stacked up my files. Taking a seat I opened them back up, there was no point in trying to sleep at this point, and just laying there was a waste of time.

"Oh," was all I heard before turning my head to see Colleen standing in the doorway of her bedroom. She walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass down "Are you going to speak to me or are we still playing the irrational game?" I muttered which only caused her to slam the glass down on her countertop. She filled the glass up and then flipped open a file writing down a few things "Irrational game it is," "Mark shut the fuck up." "stop being irrational." "Life is irrational Mark! The world does not exist in black and white, everything is a different shade of gray and should be treated as such!" I didn't say anything, just continued skimming through the pages. "It makes no sense for me to be mad at you for sleeping with my cousin, I understand that. I also know that I can't blame you for the way that I have lived my life and it was my lack of self control that got me married... but I need to be mad at someone and you are the one person it makes the most sense to be mad at!" I got up and walked around the counter, wrapping my arms around her as she cried "I get that, but you're singing the same song over and over again" "maybe I haven't finished the song Mark! I'm stuck on the chorus and waiting for the next verse," I sighed as she started wiping away her tears "it's kind of a shitty song Colleen" "it's kind of a shitty marriage Mark," "then let's forget everything we know about marriage and make it work our way." She went rigid as she stared at me "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"  I rubbed my forehead sighing "if were committed to the end result, a happy life together, then we do what makes us happy... hell blame everything on me I don't think anyone ever expected me to marry so make me be the unconventional one and for everything we supposedly do wrong just say it was me." "That's very conventional for an unconventional man." "Hey you married me," she smiled a little resting her head back on my chest "as long as you don't get pregnant anytime soon no one can say anything." "Do you even want kids?" She whispered making me laugh "Colleen do you remember that whole argument over boarding school... of course I want kids, I want an obnoxious amount... screaming and laughing... you kicking me to change a diaper... waking up on Christmas with a whole mob bouncing on our bed." She had pushed out of my embrace only to hold out her hand to me "c'mon," I grabbed her dainty little hand, following her into the bedroom. She jumped back onto the bed letting her head hit the pillow as I crawled on. "I over think everything because that matters with my work, I have to think about how every little aspect will be perceived so no one gets offended..." I kissed her quiet whispering  "we have work in a few hours," she nuzzled her head into the crook of my neck keeping her head divided between pillows "work is becoming more trivial by the second," slipped off her lips, spreading a little smile across my face "oh but work is our main character trait." She groaned "maybe it's time for a little plot twist." "And what would that be?" She pulled back a little "oh Mark, never ask what the future will hold, it'll change just because you ask."

To Be Continued