Colleen

I kept a smile plastered on my face during the ceremony and zoned out. Some how this is the only time I ever really find peace with myself. Silence is created as I watch two people vow to love each other. I glanced out into the crowd of people sitting down and my Nanna Nancy caught my eye, she tipped down her sunglasses and winked at me with her sparkly blue eyes. Maybe when this is over, instead of working things out with Mark right away I should go up to Virginia and work from there. I glanced at a few people down from her and saw my Grandma Lilly, maybe going out to the farm would be a better idea, it's closer... then again if I really wanted to leave Atlanta the Savannah house would be empty this time of year or stay with a cousin in Charleston... who am I kidding, I wouldn't be able to leave Atlanta, I wouldn't be able to stay physically away from my office for that long. I glanced back up to the actual ceremony taking place beside me and Mark caught my eye before having to pull out the rings from his suit. I couldn't help but wonder if he would die if I asked him to go out to Savannah with me. Then again I may die if I go out to Savannah.

I fell in line with Mark as we walked out of the building, his hand grazed over my arm and I thought of saying something, but I was quickly distracted by nearly tripping over my own two feet. Mark caught me and I somehow ended up in his arms right outside that building, he looked as though he was going to say something of significance to me but all that came out was "Do you ride horses?" I pushed myself out his arms, brushing myself off "Of course I ride horses, what kind of person hasn't rode a horse?" he puffed up his cheeks a bit and I realized that he didn't know how to ride a horse. "Mark this is not a conversation to have right now." I walked away from him and ushered people to line up all the way to the reception area and as the wedding party walked through they blew bubbles right until we walked through the doors "How about now?" he asked and I wanted to scream "why does it matter, we are literally at a wedding that has nothing to do with horses, now if you don't mid I have to go check the caterer before they begin taking pictures." I started walking towards the kitchen and found that he was following me "Mark if we talk about horses will you let me work?" he nodded and I sighed "Yes I used to ride horses quite a bit, now it's really only during Thanksgiving... if you are so desperate to learn I will teach you someday, but I see no need in the present future to do so." I walked into the kitchen and search for the person in charge, locating them I then gave a thumbs up and a bunch of yelling and clattering began as appetizers were prepared to come up on the silver trays I had hand selected three months ago. "well Nancy seems to think so." I turned around and walked out of the kitchen stopping in the hallway "Nancy who?" "Nancy your grandma," I completely froze and shut my eyes "Please tell me exactly what she said and did." as he went onto tell me all I could do was sigh "Oh I need to have lunch with her before she leaves for Virginia... or I may never be invited to Thanksgiving again."  I walked back into the main room and as I reached a side door where they were taking pictures I paused again "Toby's waited years to get a hunt invitation... and she just told you to come along?" he nodded "Toby was pissed." I nodded "unfortunately that means if we are ever to have a marriage that works, you have to learn to ride a horse." he laughed "It can't possibly be that important." I nodded, not even bothering to acknowledge a stupid comment like that with a look "Nanna Nancy takes riding very seriously, and I feel stupid for not thinking of it before, Mark are you sure you don't want out? I forgot how... particular my family is." he smiled and as we were hidden from everyone's eyes he leaned in a kissed me, sending sparks flying "Colleen, I hate weddings and marriages... so I can't help but believe a part of me wanted to marry you the second I saw you, or we wouldn't be in this situation." I barely heard those words, I really just wanted him to kiss me again. And he did. 

"Colleen honey, would you like to explain this to me?" I saw Nanna Nancy out of the corner of my eye standing right there. I pushed Mark away and grabbed my nose wincing and softly crying out in pain "Mark could you be  dear and get me some ice." I asked looking at my Nanna the whole time. As Mark quickly walked away she crossed her arms "Did I hear him correctly? Are you married?" I gulped a bit, and froze up some, especially as I saw her completely remove her sunglasses "Yes Nanna, but please don't say anything, nobody else really knows, only my dad, Brooke, and Toby." she nodded and then pulled me into a hug "From the moment I saw him standing up there I knew you would like him... first man I've ever seen that made me feel that way." I smiled and I watched as Mark was coming back with ice in a bag, "when did you two elope?" I smiled at my Nanna "why don't we have lunch and I'll explain," she nodded as Mark handed me the small bag of ice "Now I told you earlier to come in October... so don't tell a soul you two, but I'd rather begin Brooke and Toby in the fall... and you and Mark in the spring." she slipped her sunglasses back on "Don't tell your sister Colleen, we wouldn't want her throwing a tantrum... come next month and there will be a few folles to name." Nanna kissed my cheek and patted Mark's before leaving. As we walked towards the pictures Mark whispered in my ear such a naïve question "Is spring better than fall?"