Colleen

I needed a funnel to pour the coffee down my throat. I was so goddamn nervous after my dad threatened Mark and I. I can't believe he was actually about to freeze my accounts... I really need to move to another bank so he can't hold that sort of power over me. 

I paced up and down the hallway waiting for my dad to leave Mark, I was too nervous to go up stairs and see Brooke and he was already dressed so what could he possibly need to do. I couldn't wait any longer by just pacing so I went to the little coffee shop and ordered two and began pacing in line. When they were finally set on the counter I began drinking and I doubt I even stopped for air before I finished the first one. 

I watched as my dad left Mark and he just sat there sitting in the chair. I threw the empty cup away and walked over to him "What happened? Did he threaten to send auditors after you? The National Guard? Police?" he looked at me a bit bewildered "how connected is your family?" I shrugged "a bit too much if you ask me." he nodded "I'm starting to see why your knight in shining armor never showed up... your dad keeps you up in a tower, threatening to lock up anyone who may have any interest in you." my heart dropped a little "Don't tell me you're going to chicken out because of a few threats?" he shook his head "no, a few threats don't scare me, but eventually you'll have to meet my mother, and she'll be spiteful." I smiled "oh don't worry I've had plenty of mothers take out their irritation towards their children on me." he shook his head "my brother had been married seven years, his wife wore diamond earrings to my mom's book club instead of pearl earrings and we're still hearing about it five years later." I smiled "Luckily I was raised by my hypercritical mother and have never been allowed to wear diamonds unless it's after dark." he smirked "you may just have a fighting chance Collie," I squinted my eyes "we may be married Mark, but we're not that chummy." I drank more of my coffee and began to walk away when he caught my hand "could you do me a favor and started saying goodbye when you leave or hang up on me... I'll never be sure when you're not mad at me if you don't." I rolled my eyes "So far I've never not been mad at you... but Ta Ta," I waved my little fingers at him and walked away. I refuse to say goodbye to most people, it's too definite.

I opened the room door and found them buttoning Brooke into her dress and my jaw dropped. "Oh sweetie, you look drop dead gorgeous," I set the coffee cup down and walked towards her "Are you sure?" her voice quivered a bit and I nodded whole heartedly for the first time today "Toby is going to fall in love with you all over again." she smiled and I saw a small tear in the corner of her eye. I quickly grabbed a tissue handing it to her. "Brooke this is the happiest day of your life, there is no need to cry yet!" I laughed patting my sister's arm, she put on a weak smile and looked around "Could y'all leave Colleen and I alone for a bit," they nodded quickly leaving the room and I head a sinking feeling in my stomach. 

"Oh Collie I am so sorry, I have been such a bitch to you, you know I love you with all my heart right? Oh I do, I do. I didn't mean to be so upset about you and Mark getting... m-a-r-r-i-e-d." I nodded "It's ok, I didn't want to say anything until after your honeymoon..." she took my hands "I never wanted to be spiteful towards you Collie, and I know you really didn't mean to marry Mark... but the more I've thought about it you two together wouldn't be necessarily a horrible relationship, not that I would ever recommend you two staying married..." she looked at me and her eyes flew open "oh my god you are going to stay married!" I nodded a bit "well... I suppose you could always divorce later, besides he is very good looking and from what I hear amazing in bed." I felt my cheeks warm a bit from embarrassment "he is on Southern Living's list... and I'll admit it, he's a nice guy, Toby just ends up drinking a lot when he's around Mark... and what kills me is that Mark never ends up as drunk as Toby. It's really unfair." I smiled a little "he works a lot you know... Toby's told me there was once a week when Mark was so stressed he lived out of his office literally, slept there, ate all his meals there, showered in his private bathroom, and everything... of course I've seen you like that too, maybe three hours of sleep as you poured yourself over the Gianni/Leverfet wedding, I had to pry your hands away from your computer mouse to get you to eat." I nodded "Colleen, I just ask that you two don't get like that, it will not kill you to take a break." I felt like arguing about that but reminded myself it was her wedding. "I'll try." she squeezed my hands a bit "Colleen, it's not healthy for you to do that... I wish you would go play tennis again, you used to love playing." I smiled "I promise I won't lock myself in my office and work constantly." she hugged me "good, now tell me one more time how gorgeous I am before I go get married to the man of my dreams!" she squealed and I began praising her beauty like any good maid... or I suppose Matron of Honor would do.