Chapter 2~

You aimlessly walk around the train station, it is Sunday morning and Mei has not arrived yet

You aimlessly walk around the train station, it is Sunday morning and Mei has not arrived yet. You were still quite surprised that she had accepted; you were actually preparing for if she had said no, and you had no idea what to say when she said yes.

Some more time passed. She's already 30 minutes late...did she forget or something? you worry. Then, you feel a tap on your shoulder, you look behind you and see a smiling Mei. She is wearing a pearly white dress with a blue ribbon around her waist; there was a bright blue flower in her beautifully braided hair, and long story short, she looked amazing. Your heart skipped a beat as you stared at her. You were not expecting her to actually...dress up.

You self-consciously look down at your own clothes, which were plain and blended in easily. Not at all like what Mei put in the effort to wear. Is she...actually taking this date seriously? I definitely wasn't, you wonder. Realizing how much effort she put into her outfit, you feel kind of bad...but there was no going back now.

"Hey...um, you look...nice," you tell her awkwardly.

Mei's face turns slightly pink. "It's nothing special, sorry I'm so late" she says, not meeting your eyes.

You stared at her, she was so cute. You nervously take her hand. "Well, shall we get going?" you ask her with a grin. She hesitates, then nods.

You proceed to take her to a popular cafe nearby, a small, cozy place called "Valkyrie Cafe". As the two of you walk inside and sit down opposite each other, Mei looks around and her face flashes with recognition.

"Have you...been here before?" you ask curiously, propping your elbows up on the table, and resting your head on your hands.

Mei nods shyly. "I work here, actually. I always make a special every Saturday, but this date is kind of interfering with that..."

You nervously laugh. "Eheheh...sorry about that." To lighten up the mood you tell her about yourself. "Oh wait...I never told you my name, did I? I'm (Y/N)."

"That's a pretty name," Mei tells you.

You open your mouth to say more, but at that very moment the waiter comes up to the two of you and asks you what you would like to order. That was a close call, you think to yourself, relieved. You had been so careless that you had almost told Mei about your organization. And that would have ruined everything.

"Oh, uh, I'll order a latte and an omelette!" Mei exclaims cheerfully.

"I'll...I'll have that too, except instead of a latte I'd like an espresso," you tell the waiter.

The waiter jots down your orders then goes away to take some other group's orders. You turn back to face Mei.

After a few minutes of talking to her, your food arrives. You notice that Mei is very quiet and that something is wrong. "You okay?" you ask her, surprised to see you were feeling genuine concern.

She silently stares at you for a few seconds then explains, "I...I had a girlfriend once. She was killed because she was a Herrscher, and I've missed her everyday ever since." Mei looks at her omelette wistfully. "She made really bad omurice but always tried her best...I guess the omelette just reminds me of her."

"What was her name?"

"...Kiana. Kiana Kaslana."

You freeze. You recognize that name, all too well. Your heart feels like an arrow has pierced through it, and guilt crashes over you like a giant tidal wave.

Mei notices your mood change. "What's wrong?" she asks, worried.

You shake your head. "Uh...nothing, it's nothing. I just remembered something I have to do, that's all."

You quickly run out of the cafe, as far away from it as you can. You didn't want to face all this guilt, it was too much for you to handle. You finally duck into an alley, breathing heavily. Why were you feeling like this? When they ordered me to kill Kiana, I did it, and I felt no regret! Why is all of it coming back now?!

You see a text message on your phone; it was from Mei. It read: "Are you ok?" Your heart twists with guilt. She's so caring and nice, and you were just taking advantage of her.

It's just for the mission, you tell yourself over and over again. No other reason. I shouldn't be feeling this way. You slowly walk out of the dark alley, back towards St. Freya like a mindless zombie. When you get there, A tall girl with blue-gray hair, who you recognize as Fu Hua, meets your eyes.

"Oh, hello (Y/N). What brings you here?" she asks coldly. "Weren't you supposed to be on a date with Mei?"

"Eh? How did you know about that?! You weren't there when I asked her!"

"I have my ways...but you haven't answered my question." Fu Hua's blue eyes glint as she stares at you. "What brings you here? You're supposed to be on a date with Mei."

You don't meet her gaze. "I...I had to leave early. Something came up."

"And what would that have been?"

"......" You don't respond. No excuse came to your head, nothing to say to change the direction the conversation was flowing.

"So? What's your excuse?"

"...I don't have one," you mutter reluctantly.

Fu Hua's tone turns from cold to angry. "Really?! If I told you that as of this moment, Mei is crying in her dorm because she thought she did something wrong, would you feel bad?! Would you go to see her? Or would you just be a coward and run away?!"

Wait, what?! She's crying?! you think, your mind reeling with shock. Did I seriously make her cry? That's not what I wanted to happen...! Goddammit, (Y/N), what were you thinking?!

You stand there while Fu Hua glares at you expectantly, trying to figure out what to do. "What are you going to do?!" Fu Hua asks, raising her voice a bit more.

Finally meeting her eyes, you say firmly, "...I'll go see her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Art credits~ 74575491 pixiv

Thank you @basil_fried_rice for helping again~