Chapter 3~

You hesitate, then knock on Mei's door.

"(Y/N), is that you?" you hear a solemn, slightly choked up voice ask. "If...if it is, you can come in..."

You hesitate for a moment then twist the doorknob, the door is unlocked and you open it. You see Mei sitting on the bed with puffy red eyes.

"(Y/N), I'm so sorry, I really am!" Mei apologizes over and over again.

"Sorry about what?"

"I shouldn't have said anything about Kiana, I should have waited until later...!"

You shake your head. "Don't worry Mei, it's not about Kiana."

"Well...What was it, then?" Mei looks relieved.

"Oh well..Kiana just kind of reminded me of an old friend." Not being able to look at her in the eyes, you make up an excuse. You couldn't tell her the truth, or else your mission was doomed.

"So it was Kiana?" Mei asked, looking on the verge of tears again. "I'm so sorry...!"

"It's not your fault," you try to comfort her. "Seriously." Mei looks unconvinced but she doesn't say anything. You let out a breath; this was getting frustrating. "Okay, look. If anyone should be sorry, it's me," you say. "I shouldn't have left you like that. So...don't beat yourself up over it, okay?" Mei looks a little happier and you sigh in relief.

And then, to your own shock, you suddenly lean forward and give her a hug.

Mei gasps in surprise. "(Y/N)?"

Was that really necessary to the mission? you ask yourself. ...Yeah, no it wasn't. But I guess there's no turning back from here.

You hold her for a little longer and after a few moments, you finally let her go.

Her face is bright red, and you are just as embarrassed as she is, but you just laugh. Mei looks happy again, though her face is still flushed pink.

"Eheheh...that was sudden," Mei laughs. "I wasn't expecting that."

"Did it make you feel better or what?"

Mei chuckles sheepishly. "Yes, actually...it might sound a bit weird, but it cheered me up a lot!"

"That's great, now I don't have to feel so embarrassed about it," you joke.

"You were embarrassed?" Mei asks you, frowning.

"Wait, don't guilt-trip me like that!" you protest, not wanting her to cry again. "Of course I was embarrassed, I've never hugged someone before!"

"I was just joking," Mei giggled. "I was pretty embarrassed too. I haven't been hugged like that since..." She trailed off, smiling sadly.

Knowing exactly what she was about to say, and not knowing how to respond, you stay silent and don't meet her eyes. The two of you sit there awkwardly for a few moments, until Mei finally breaks the silence.

"Um, (Y/N)..." she begins uncertainly, "would it be too much of a hassle if I asked you to go someplace else with me sometime? I...I actually had fun in the short time we spent together today, so, um..."

Did she really? That's surprising, we were only there for around twenty-ish minutes, you think, feeling a bit confused. But wait, you realize, this is perfect for my mission! Mei enjoys being around you, so it would be much easier to keep an eye on her.

But something about this feels wrong. Was it how you were manipulating her? How you do this just so you can keep an eye on her for your organization? Yes, partially...but this is necessary, you tell yourself over and over. I knew that I would be doing these things anyway, so don't feel guilty, (Y/N)!

After much contemplation, you look up and meet Mei's hopeful eyes. "Sure," you agree. "Where do you want to go next?" 

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you @basil_fried_rice again~