CHAPTER 6

Bondita turned to look at Aritrika and indicated her to pinch her. "Owww", she yelled in pain when she was pinched,"...this means he is really standing in front of you, Bondita. You are not dreaming", she whispered to herself , rubbing the area which was pinched ,while Aritrika nodded. She still could not believe her eyes. Her Sakha Babu was standing in front of her. Tears rolled down her cheek as she looked at him from top to bottom, as if trying to capture his photograph through the lens of her eyes and keep it framed forever in her mind and heart. Anirudh had grown quiet mature in all these years. He now wore spectacles and had grown stubble on his face. Bondita couldn't help but notice that he was looking breathtakingly handsome in a black formal suit.

Anirudh noticed that his little Bondita had transformed into a beautiful lady. She was wearing an all-white saree, and jhumkas in her ears. She had left her hair open. She had applied kohl to her eyes, which made her eyes look bright and prominent that it could attract anyone's attention. Bondita also adorned her forehead with a black bindi, just like she used to wear as a kid. Even in that simple outfit, Bondita was looking heavenly gorgeous.

"Are you still angry with me? Don't you want to hug me?", said Anirudh, bringing Bondita back to her senses, which were lost the moment her eyes caught his sight. Without thinking much, Bondita ran to hug her Shikshak Babu. She threw her hands around him and buried her face in his chest, making his shirt wet with her tears. Anirudh caressed her hair lovingly and closed his eyes, as if trying to inhale her scent. They were altogether experiencing bliss in each other's arms as they continued hugging each other for the next 5 minutes.

Bondita now broke the embrace and looked into his eyes, with love and respect. But suddenly something dawned upon her and she pushed him back lightly . She puffed out her cheeks yet again and stood there with folded hands. Anirudh did not say anything, he just looked at her. How much had he missed Bondita doing this! After staring at her for some time , a smiling Anirudh put out both his forefingers, touching her cheeks, from both sides, bringing her face back to it's normal state. Bondita stared at him angrily and said, " Why did you lie to me that you will not be able to come today? You know how sad I was? I cried so badly that day." Anirudh immediately held his ears and said," I am sorry Bondita. I wanted to give you a surprise, Shotti!". Listening to his Shotti, Bondita felt herself melt like an ice cream. She then looked at him, melting even more as he stood there holding his ears, making a cute face. " Okay , Okay! I forgive you. Now will you keep on standing here or will you come with me downstairs?", said Bondita, to which Anirudh agreed. They then, along with Aritrika, went downstairs to the auditorium where the rest of her family members were sitting.

She quietly went over to her mother and closed her eyes with her palms. "Arreee...who is this? " , said Sumati. Bondita did not utter a single word. It was only after a few seconds that she realised that it was none other than her daughter. She removed her hands from her eyes and pulled Bondita to face her. "My badmaash Bondita! I knew it is you who can pull off such notorious stunts", Sumati said, her eyes were shining with happiness. But soon her mother could not hold back her tears and she stood up, hugging her daughter tightly, as if not wanting to let go of her. In turn Bondita too hugged her tightly. Everyone's eyes had turned moist seeing this emotional reunion of the mother-daughter duo. After hugging her mother, Bondita went on to greet the other elders . She touched the feet of her Trilochan kakasasurji and her Thaku ma. " Jug Jug Jeeyo, beta (may you live long). I cannot express how happy am I feeling to see you after so many years. Our lives felt incomplete without you. Now that you are back, I want you to visit the Roy Chowdhury haveli" , said Kaka, who by now was feeling a lump in his throat and was unable to speak any further. She then went on to seek Thaku Ma's blessings, " May god bless you , My child! Look at you! You have grown up to be such a beautiful woman. How I missed seeing my Bondita bacchi grow into a young lady", she said. " You have lost so much of weight. These angrezis (English people) did not serve you food or what. Once you return back with us to Krishnanagar Your mother and I will feed you properly", saying this they broke into laughter.