CHAPTER 13

Anirudh took Bondita to her room. He made her sit on the bed and helped her open her shoes. Bondita felt flattered while Anirudh was taking care of her. In her 5 day stay at the hospital, Anirudh used to practically live at the hospital with her, in her room. He would not let her move even a bit. He would force Sumati and Thaku maa to go back home and take rest while he takes the charge of looking after her. He would make her eat with his own hands, help her have her medicines, make her drink water from time to time and help her visit the washroom. He left her alone only when she had to change her saaree. He even slept in her room, besides her bed, on a bedsheet spread on the floor. He knew that Bondita would not let him sleep like this so he waited Bondita to fall asleep and then he would go to sleep. Sometimes Anirudh would pull a chair besides Bondita and adore her beauty while she is asleep. He was still confused whether he is in love or it is just a kind of physical attraction. To clear his doubts, he decided to read books on love and male-female relationships to gather knowledge and to be able to find a proper name for the feelings he was having.

He started noticing the changes in his body, heart and mind when he was near Bondita. But to his surprise, it was not just when he was near her, he would be worrying about her well being even when he was away from her for some work. He also observed that he felt a kind of pain rise in his chest whenever he would see Bondita in the hospital, lying on bed and not being able to do anything on her own. He would feel too guilty and at the same time furious for whatever had happened in the court that day. He also recalled how he had felt jealous of William when he had seen Bondita hugging him and talking to him. He also noted that his face turned red and his heart started beating at a very fast rate when he would be close to her or even when he was just recalling those small incidents earlier that brought Bondita more closer to him than usual. He maintained a secret diary of his feelings and wrote down all he was experiencing in the diary. He wanted to keep a track of all these things so that when he would get to read a book on love and male-female relationships, he would be able to match and check all his feelings and be able to get an idea of what exactly is happening to him. He would hide his diary from Bondita and wrote all this before he went to sleep.

On the other hand, now Bondita was all sure that she has fallen for her Sakha Babu. She would feel her face turn all warm and red whenever he would be feeding her or what would be taking care of her small needs. Her heart would beat erratically whenever he would touch her. Even in her dreams, she saw him, looking at her and smiling and calling out her name. She would feel warm and loved whenever he hugged her. All these things are the same things that William felt for Emily and as he had told her to keep a watch on how her body responded when she is with Anirudh, she kept a close watch on herself. She did not feel guilty of loving her Sakha Babu. In fact she was happy that she fell for a man like him who always kept her as his first priority. Her love was selfless. She felt that she would keep on loving him forever even if he doesn't reciprocate her feelings. She would feel her whole self feel happy and comforted in his presence.

They both were unaware that the other person had also fallen for them. Their love was very different from what was normally seen in those days and their relationship was above and superior than all the relationships of the society. Their love was selfless. Both of them wanted the other to feel free in their love. They did not want the other person to feel obliged of their feelings. They did not have any expectations. They were happy in each other's happiness and in each other's presence. Isn't this what is called as true love?

" I will go, fetch your food. You will not move from this place and if you need anything, call me. Let me first place a pillow behind your back so that you can sit comfortably. After eating, I feel send Sampoorna Ma to help you change your saaree. For now take this medicine", saying this he brought a glass of water to Bondita's mouth and popped the medicine in her mouth. He again made her drink water. Then, making her sit comfortably, he ran downstairs to bring her dinner. Meanwhile, in the room, Bondita recalled that they were scheduled to meet Mr. Saluja's daughter, Gurleen and they had also planned to visit them. She also remembered that the post mortem report must have been out by now. She waited for her Sakha Babu to be back so that she can ask about the progress of the case.

Anirudh brought a plate full of food, consisting of delicacies like four luchis, a bowl of cholar daal with coconut in it, kosha maangsho, mishti doi and her favourite roshogolla. Bondita's face instantly lit up the moment she saw her plate of food. She was fed up of eating bad and bland hospital food since the last 5 days as the hospital staff did not allow the family of patients to bring home made food. She wanted to snatch the plate from his hands but Anirudh did not let this happen. " No Bondita! I will make you eat. Your hand needs rest. Be patient. I feel feed you everything", Anirudh said. Anirudh tore a piece of luchi , dip it in the bowl of dal and extended his hand to feed her. But Bondita, instead of eating the piece, turned his hand towards his face and made him eat it. Anirudh ate it happily and tore another piece of the luchi and dip it in the gravy of kosha maangsho and fed it to Bondita. They shared the food and ate it together, looking at each other with eyes filled with love.

Ahter they had finished eating, Bondita asked the questions that were in her mind. " Sakha Babu, we had an appointment with Gurleen on that day, do you remember? And also we had planned to visit the Salujas. When are we supposed to do that? What about the post mortem report of Lajvanti?". Anirudh nodded and said, " I had informed Gurleen not to come to court that day from the post office over the telephone, luckily I had written down the number of the Salujas in a paper and had kept it in the pocket of my court dress. Also, yesterday I had visited the court to gather information about the report. The police officer handed me over the report and when I studied it , I was very surprised. The report said that there were no fingerprints or even signs or scratches of struggle on her body. I got so puzzled after reading this. The police officer was sure that it was a murder but now, after he read the report, he is confirmed that it is a suicide. But I don't think so. Something is wrong here and it is all very fishy. We need to talk to Gurleen as soon as possible and try to find proofs. But the thing is that, you can not do anything much due to these injuries until a month. So I will...", Anirudh was interrupted by Bondita who said ," You do not need to do anything Sakha Babu. I will solve this case and I will collect the proofs. You leave that on me. The best thing is that the doctor has strictly advised me not to do much work, right? Fine. I will do all my work from my house, in my room. Even the date of the first hearing will be shifted to a date in the next month, that is for sure. So I have one month time with me. In this one month I will find all the proofs. Also Sakha Babu, can you please ask Mr. Saluja and his daughter both to come to our house tomorrow morning at 11 am?", she asked to which Anirudh nodded.

" Bondita, I will call them now only. You go to sleep now. You have a lot of work tomorrow", he said. " Sakha Babu first I have to change into my night saaree. Please call Sampoorna didi. I will need her", Bondita said. Anirudh nodded and called out for Sampoorna. Sampoorna came and helped Bondita change into her night saaree. After that, Anirudh, who patiently waited outside her room while she was changing, went inside, made her have her medicine, made her lie down on the bed, pulled the warm blanket over her and switched off the lights of her room. Then wishing her a Good Night, he went to the study, closing the door after him. Anirudh , on the other hand, made plans of visiting a book store to buy a book on how love and physical attractions are different and also reflecting upon the romantic relationships between men and women , he had seen this book on his way back home from court the previous day. He was excited for the next day as it would be very eventful.

The next day, Anirudh woke up early and sprang out of the couch in his study where he slept. He was looking forward to this day. He had called Mr. Saluja the last night and explained the situation to him. He agreed to all what Anirudh wanted him to do. Mr. Saluja would be meeting Bondita along with his daughter at 11 am that day. Before that Anirudh would be going to the court and write to the Judge about Bondita's health and request him to shift the date of the first hearing of the case to next month. And on his way back he would be visiting the book store and buy the book and read it tonight.

He started walking towards Bondita's room and as soon as he opened the room, he saw Bondita struggling to drape her saaree. He was dumbstruck for a moment and immediately turned around. Bondita was shocked after seeing him and tried to cover herself with the saaree. Anirudh asked her, " Why haven't you called Sampoorna Maa? She will help you drape the saaree. Your injuries have not yet healed. You cannot do everything yourself." " Sampoorna didi is busy in getting Shashwati ready for school and she has to make today's breakfast too. So I decided not to trouble her and try wearing my saaree on my own. But I am not able to do it", Bondita said , trying to cover herself as much as possible.

" May I help you wearing the saaree?", Anirudh asked at once. Bondita's eyes widened and her face turned red when she heard him saying this.