Chapter 1

First time reader check-in ☀️

Returning reader check-in ⭐

Mars is usless. It was big. And bright. Written on the wall with magic so it shone like little fairies. I couldn't determine if it were supposed to hurt me. It'd be just as easy to write Mars' hair is white. Or Mars is tall. Writing facts on a wall seemed entirely useless and maybe that was the point. Writing it on the wall was as useless as me. As my powers.

Astral frowned. "Usless. Us. Less. It seems counterproductive to write on walls if one can't even spell useless."

"Right," I murmured. I had completely skipped that part of my analysis. A mistake on my part. We were to analyse everything. Leaves. Mountains. Stones. Rings in the water. And now writings on the wall with misspellings.

Of course, Astral noticed. He had The Sight. Not that anyone needed perfect sight for this particular situation, but it probably didn't hurt his spelling abilities. Or abilities at spotting spelling mistakes.

"Well, it appears someone is trying to tell you something," Astral said then and glanced at me.

"Good thing I'm a horrible listener."

He snorted and waved his hand at the wall, the writing changing. Now it read Mars is lovely. "You listening now?"

I couldn't help but smile. "I'll always listen to you."

"Perfect, because I'm rather smart, you know."

"You're not really. You're just silver-tongued."

"I'm intelligent and you know it."

"Intelligent people don't brag about their intelligence, Astral."

"Braggy people brag. I'm merely stating facts here. Like, I'm very intelligent and you're very lovely." He hooked his arm with mine and pulled me away from the wall. He patted my hand as we strolled down the hallway.

"We should go out into the gardens. You need a bit of sun, you're so pale."

"You know the sun won't change anything about that."

"Oh, lighten up, Prince of Death and Gloom and Sorrow."

I wrinkled my nose at that. I didn't think I was that gloomy. I was just serious. A serious person wasn't necessarily gloomy.

We did go to the gardens and sat in the sun. Astral kept talking about how we'd get revenge on those who had written on the wall, and I kept shooting down his ideas.

"How about we write something like... Castus has a small dick." Astral chuckled at his own terrible joke.

"How would you know that?" I asked and arched a brow at him.

He smirked at me. "Maybe he got a little drunk at a party once. And maybe he and I went skinny dipping." He shrugged.

I knew he was lying. He had never done anything without me since we were little. Especially not gone skinny dipping with Castus after or during a party. We were never invited to Castus' parties. He didn't like us, and thought I was utterly useless, hence the writing on the wall. He thought he was clever with that message, and that we might not know he was the author of it, but I could taste his magic all over it.