Chapter 25

"What're you doing?" Keefe asked

I looked up from my notes and smiled. "I'm doing my thesis. Would you like to join me?"

"I can't read," Keefe muttered. "Not your language anyways. Ours don't look like this." He gently ran his hands over the pages of one of the books that laid open in my mountain of books.

"You can write and read in... What's it called?" I cringed a little. I didn't even know what his language was called.

He smiled softly. "You wouldn't be able to pronounce it. In your language it's just called... Well, Elfish. Since we're elves."

"Elfish," I repeated.

He nodded and smiled.

"You never lived with humans who could teach you our written language?" I asked and put my pencil down.

"No. My dad taught me this spoken language, but I'm an elf, you know? I look like one, I blend in with them. I don't really fit into this world of yours." He scratched his big pointy ear and shrugged a little. "I like it here though. People are very friendly."

I smiled. "I'm glad. We're also very pleased you decided to stay with us."

He smiled back and nodded picking up a book. "Is it important to be able to read this language?"

"For Astral and me it is. Since we're writing our thesis. I could teach you if you want. If you teach me Elfish."

He nodded very enthusiastically. "Like Astral is teaching Zeke. I'll be your apprentice."

My heart melted with those words. It was so sweet he wanted to be my apprentice. "I'll teach you everything I know, then. About writing, reading, remedies. Everything."

"And I'll teach you my language. So, you'll be my apprentice too." He looked so proud of himself.

"That sounds good."

We, Keefe and I, studied outside while Zeke and Astral trained

We, Keefe and I, studied outside while Zeke and Astral trained. Zeke was able to summon lightning now just as Astral, but she did not possess his control.