Chapter 8 - A Nightmare Realised

Fire billowed and swung in a wild frenzy, it was small at first but still highly effective as you watched it leap from spot to spot and incinerate whatever it touched. Be it some random sinners or the lobby you stood in.

Cherri was silent beside you, her eye snapping from place to place before setting on you and the poor sod you held in your clutches.

Or rather, half of him, his intestines slopping out of his severed half and wetly splatting on the floor. He was barely breathing, but his eyes held panic and pure fear, staring up to your scarred but blank canvas of a face as hot tears begun sliding down his face.

It didn't take long before he went limp, and that's not because you let him die by himself, it's because you dropped the sinner and proceeding to crush his head underfoot.

Smiling wickedly the whole time.

So much has happened this past week, so much explaining and even first dates, but this was by far the thing you were looking forward to the most.

Were you as strong as a Overlord like Valentino? No.

You were stronger.

You were better.

You were a supernatural killer.

A Nightmare given form.

"This isn't his main place."

"Oh I know Cherri, but this is just a message."

"That you're coming for him?"

"No..."

You turned back to her, not bothering with wiping your blood splattered suit and gore drenched gloves as the woman followed close behind you.

The both of you entered out onto the street, just as red and burnt black like the lobby inside and the building it was attached to, now on fire. This was the beginning of your warpath, not an example but a promise.

You turned to face Cherri, her normally pale and freckled skin now smoky grey from the ash and blood that the two of you had been dwelling in for a while.

"That it's far too late to stop me."

The cyclopes sinner smirked at this, not off put by your demeanour or sinister aura and actually getting rather pumped.

"Valentino's had this long coming to him."

"Tell me more as we walk, I'd love more reasons to snap every little brittle bone in his fucking body."

Cherri wasted no time in giving you the details she knew about the pimp overlord, all his shitty deals and 'crimes', and mostly about how he treated Angel Dust as nothing more then meat to bite into when he was feeling peckish. A portable flesh light to use as he pleased and seen as simple arm candy by the moth.

"All things he will pay for, right?"

"Pay for? Oh no my dear..."

The Cyclopes sinner glanced at you in confusion, furrowed brow showing slight concern that morphed into a look of alarm at the sight of the detonator she had given you before.

"He'll be apologising on his hands and knees before us, hoping to any god to exist that his torment will end..."

Your thumb circled the detonators button, fanged smile etching widen then should be possible on your face before pressing the one button that would change it all.

"But his screams will drown out any prayer that hopes to pass his lips."

A sound like a dull thud went off behind you and Cherri, who looked worried before getting knocked to the ground as a shockwave slammed into the two of you. You however, remained unaffected, a dark laugh rolling from your grinning mouth, the sound of the sudden explosion from behind you dulled by the running imagination of the pain you'll cause.

Cherri slowly looked up, stunned from slamming into the pavement before letting a small gasp escape her lips, her eye looking directly up at you from her prone position. And she was enthralled.

The inferno raging behind you, silhouetting your form as nothing more then a dark shadow, sinner blood oozing from your claws and teeth, the grin of a killer that hunted the impossible.

You held a small ticking trinket in your opposite palm, seemingly mesmerised by the hands that slowly moved on the surface.

This was it, all from a simple action.

One mistake, and now an empire will burn.

They will cry and beg, and it will be glorious.

They will grovel and worship, and still be cut down.

You smiled down at the pocket watch, clapping it closed and slipping it back into your breast pocket, slowly walking away as Cherri hurriedly dragged herself out of the debris hobbled after you.

"W-what now?"

"We wait."

"Wait? Why?!"

"We let the fear and paranoia corrupt them, take ahold, and destroy them from within."

"But won't that take, like, forever?"

"...You think that this is the only show we'll give them?"

"Huh? I-uh-"

"It's not rocket science dear, I know from Angel you're always on the attack, but sometimes you need to let their destruction and evisceration take root in their minds. Let the doomed bastards overthink and overcompensate, then when you take out the rug from underneath them, they'll be left with nothing..."