Chapter 4: Flirting

Sylvia spent the next few days trying to listen to her father's advice and avoiding Theo as much as she could, which was hard when she was the one to deliver his food. She ignored his constant flirty advances even though she secretly enjoyed it.

The old Slyvia would've flirted just as much back. She wasn't exactly a flirtatious person but she would flirt back, innocently enough, until it had gotten her into trouble.

Now she barely could take a compliment without worrying that there would be a repeat in history. However when Theo flirted...

It should infuriate any woman with how cocky, arrogant, and objectifying he was. But, it didn't bother Sylvia. Maybe she wasn't a normal woman, or maybe her judgement was clouded by the appeal of his confidence and his looks did help.

Sylvia tried to keep her mind off him, but the more she tried not to think of him that's all she could do.

She read up on the serial killer business her dad was talking about and it didn't make any sense to her. His neighbor, Love Quinn-Goldberg, killed her husband and captured her friend and her husband, locking them in her bakery basement, and attacked Theo for finding it, and killed herself.

Sylvia didn't know how much she believed the articles online and it made her all the more curious about Theo's story and wanting to ask what really happened.

"Earth to Sylvia," Carol sang.

Sylvia jerked her head to the direction of her voice. "Hmm?"

"You have been distracted for weeks. What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

Sylvia shrugged. Distracted wasn't even the right term. She was obsessed.

"I don't know," Sylvia responded.

"You need to make some friends, enjoy life, do what the young kids are doing these days."

Sylvia sighed. "Maybe."

"Take it from me, you're only young once, so enjoy it."

Sylvia nodded, going back to work. She made her way up to the second floor, greeting the nurses.
"Do you mind if I-" Sylvia started, pointing at the door.

"By all means, and just between me and you, he's been asking about you," Patty winked.

Sylvia didn't respond and lightly knocked on the door before opening it. "Hey," she bit back a smile.

"Hey, stranger."

"I've been busy," she lied.

"I'm sure, delivering all those meals."

"Well there were a lot of patients this week."

"And the week before that?"

Sylvia shrugged. "Didn't know you required my presence."

Sylvia pulled a deck of cards from her pocket. "I'm pretty much done today and hanging out at home is a bore. Care to spare a few hours?"

"I'm not going anywhere."

Sylvia smiled and sat down on the bed, dealing with the deck.

Theo smirked. "Well I'm relieved, I thought you were avoiding me."

Sylvia bit her lip. "I haven't been in this town very long and I'm not very good at making friends."

"Well that makes two of us."

"Oh please, I'm sure you're quite popular, especially with the ladies."

"If that's your way of asking if I'm single the answer is yes."

"Still."

Theo shrugged. "Not very popular anymore with the ladies considering my condition," he motioned towards his legs.

"Well that's shallow of them."

"Is it? Because my best asset is currently out of order."

Sylvia shrugged. "Well that shouldn't be a hindrance as long as you're good with your hands," she said, slipping up.

Theo raised his eyebrows, smirking at her sudden boldness and flirting.

"That's what my friend Alice would say," she quickly said, trying to cover, feeling her face grow hot, trying to get the thought of what the feeling of his hands on her would feel like.

Theo cleared his throat but his smirk remained. "I'll keep that in mind."

Sylvia nodded uncomfortably.

"I must say I like this side of you, if you keep it up I might just get it up faster than the doctors said."

Sylvia laughed. "You really don't give up do you?"

"Should I?"

Sylvia looked at his eyes. She had the opportunity right now to shut it all down, tell him to give up, that they would never work. That it would all just end badly. If he really knew what she was. If he knew the truth maybe he wouldn't be looking at her like he was right now, or maybe he would.

His question still lingered unanswered in the air.

Should he give up?

"No," she says.