Chapter 12: Theo's Concerns

Theo woke up to an empty bed. He sighed, slowly sitting up. He managed to dress himself, a task he would learn to never take for granted again. There were actually a lot of tasks he wouldn't take for granted again now that he could do them again or was still working towards.

His phone buzzed and he grabbed it, hoping it was Sylvia.

Last night was thrilling, the effects still evident on his skin. He debated wearing something to cover her love bites but he decided not to. He liked seeing them.

That can't happen again

Theo stared at his phone. Did she regret it? He wondered. He wondered if she ended up really enjoying it or if she had faked it all.

He cursed, tossing his phone aside, as he laid down on his bed.

He heard a soft knock and he lifted his head.

"Hey," his dad greeted. "Everything okay?"

Theo shrugged. "Everything's fine and dandy."

"Is it Sylvia?"

Theo didn't answer at first. "She probably found someone else, someone who can last longer than ten seconds."

"Do you love her?"

Theo shrugged, he wanted to, but the last person he thought he loved ended up being the reason he was paralyzed. Not to mention Sylvia was acting like her. One minute she was hot then cold.

However he wondered if it was her dad. He remembered hearing yelling when they dropped her off all the way to the car where he was.

"I don't think she's in a good place."

"Maybe not, but there's nothing we can do."

"We have to, if he's abusing her-"

"We don't know for sure and she's a legal adult. She can leave anytime and she isn't. At that point there's nothing we can do, it's her choice."

Theo sighed, why couldn't he be her choice?

He wanted it to be more than just a hookup. She was more than that to him, but maybe that's all he was for her, a hookup. Maybe it was on some bucket list to have sex with a recovering cripple.

"Theo," his dad started. "Just remember to be careful and trust your gut, okay?"

"Okay," he nodded.

His dad nodded, smiling. "Okay."

He headed out leaving Theo to his thoughts. What did his gut say about Sylvia? Right now he was hurt.

He wanted to reply back that it was fine that it meant nothing to him, but he couldn't. He tried calling her but it went straight to voicemail. Either she was ignoring him or her phone was off.

He ran his hand through his hair.

He wished he could drive, he'd drive to her place right now, but he was still on restrictions. And last time he did that it didn't end well. Nothing ended well for Theo.

He should delete her contact. He should forget her. He got what he wanted, didn't he? Yet he couldn't bring himself to do it.

He flipped through pictures that they took one night together. They had a bonfire in the fire pit and made s'mores, laughing over some stupid TikTok. He stopped on the one where she had kissed his cheek, smearing marshmallow all over him, laughing.

He sighed, tossing his phone aside, wishing she'd call.