• chapter • 10 •

chapter ten:
izabelle

• • •

I READ OVER THE LETTER LIKE IT'S  all I know to do. Ever since this morning, I've been on the couch while Sinn's made some calls to Lord knows who. My body hasn't stopped shaking, my hands worse than anything, and I look over the letter for a millionth time to assure me that I'm not crazy and that what I just read is actually on that paper.

To Whom it May Concern,

It has been decided that on 24 December of 2021 at 09:15a.m., Izabelle (aka ANGEL #2492) will be brought back to the Grand Courthouse for a trial to decide if she will be stripped of her wings for the following:

- lack of attendance at work
- breaking Laws 1, 55, 179:
- Law 179: befriending client 16 (Donavon, Mitchell Alister)
- Law 55: unorthodox offspring (Avery aka ANGEL #11 514, born 3 April, 1521)
- Law 1: unethical relationship with LUCIFER'S son (Sinn aka DEMON #2237)

Izabelle, Sinn, and said offspring will be required to attend the trial. If not there on given date, they will be forcibly brought by the ADT (Angels' Defence Team).

Regards,
- The Higher Goddesses

My eyes well with tears.

Noah swore not to tell.

He's the one brother that I thought I could depend on and he ruined the chance of me truly being happy with a family I felt I belonged in. Because of this stupid law?

"Izzy, look at me," Sinn murmurs and kisses my cheek, cupping the other one. "Everything is going to be okay, you hear me?"

Hearing those words make my eyes water even more. One tear falls as I meet his gentle stare.

"Sinn, I'm going to lose my wings," I sob, gripping my hair and squeezing my eyes shut. "I-I'm going to be sent off to that torture chamber they call Limbo. I'm never going to see you and my baby girl again!"

Sinn shakes his head and runs a hand through my hair and kisses the top of my head, sighing. He pulls me on his lap and rubs my back slowly, letting me cry against his neck.

I was scared. No, I was fucking terrified. Losing my wings means I'll lose my freedom, my family, my sanity. Limbo is a place that makes you forget nothing but the horrible things you've been through in there. Your memories become faded and the constant fear and trauma gets to you. It starts to mess with your mind until eventually you go insane.

I don't want to forget any of my memories—good or bad. I don't want to forget my daughter or Sinn, the rest of my family... I can't let them win this when I have so much to lose. They can't ruin my life like they did so many other innocent people.

"I'm not letting them win, Izabelle," he mumbles into my hair, literally reading my mind. "Let me make a few more calls. I'm not going to let them snatch you away right when I got you back."

I sniffle and nod my head, feeling his lips on mine in a gentle kiss. Sinn sits me on the couch and kisses my cheek.

"Don't cry, baby," he whispers. He wipes my tears. "We're going to fix this. We just need the right evidence."