Chapter 3

"You seem a little over qualified for a job at a hardware store." Pops looked up from his computer sounding a bit surprised.

Toren wasn't foreign to this reaction. When he'd come in for an interview at his last job, the gas station, his boss had continuously asked throughout it why he didn't try to go for one of the larger companies.

Toren had always been interested in learning new things. Because of his habits, he attended an online school where he could freely pick his hours. He'd graduated highschool early, did school through the summer, and got himself more than one degree at an online university. He'd done multiple at once, studying law, zoology, business, and more. His thirst for knowledge surprised his parents. He just consumed everything. He was a fast learner and soaked it in like a sponge.

But, he'd settled on a simpler job, wanting to be able to keep his night schedule. The thought of becoming a lawyer, or a zoologist, or even a teacher, seemed too draining. He took the easy road, despite most of his teachers offering him recommendation letters to high profile companies.

So Pops surprise after reading his resume was to be expected.

He clasped his hands in his lap and painted on a tired smile. "I like simple, I just need enough to live. Life is quieter that way." And he wasn't very interested in pursuing those high end careers, but he didn't say so. His lack of ambition always gained him a frown in the past.

"So, why'd you go for these degrees in the first place?" Pops asked. His question was justified, though Toren flinched a little at the implied tone.

"I was curious. I wanted to learn these things, so I did."

Pops just chuckled and shook his head. "You're a bit of an odd one, but I can't complain. Well, so far I think I like you, let me check your references and I'll give you a call tomorrow."

At the mention of references, Toren's eyes widened realizing he hadn't updated his resume. His parents were still on there.
He let out a shaky breath and held up a hand. "Um, actually, I uh, I haven't updated it... I just need to take off... Uhm." He swallowed the lump in his throat. It hurt and his chest felt constricted as he tried to explain. "There's, those two, the Grettlys, they won't be able... I..." He was choking up.
His hand flew over his mouth and his eyes misted over. "They... They..."

Pops gave him a look of surprise, but his expression softened as he started to put the pieces together. "It's okay, I understand." He reached out to put a hand on his arm in a gentle gesture.

"I'm sorry." Toren sucked in a shaky breath, trying to keep his voice from cracking. What was wrong with him? He never broke down in front of anyone. Hell, had he ever broken down at all?

He struggled to gather up his lost composure, sitting straighter in his chair. "So, uhm, I'll be heading out now."

Pops withdrew his hand and nodded. He didn't say anything, to which Toren was grateful.
He stood and pulled himself together before leaving the office, making sure to take steady breaths.

"See you around?" The man behind the register asked, leaning over the counter.

Toren could only nod as he felt the restriction in his throat tighten.

He rushed out of the store and hid himself behind the wall to fully recover from everything that'd just happened. Maybe this town would be the death of him.

He clutched his jacket over his heart, puffing out his cheeks. He wasn't used to feeling so much all at once. He was usually rather calm. He knew his lack of sleep made him more susceptible to it.

He shook himself and brushed everything to the back of his mind. He'd deal with it later. He still had things he needed to do. Like find a real estate office and get a list of places for sale. He wasn't ready to buy yet, but he wanted to get a good idea what he was dealing with.