Chapter 21

"There's something we need to talk about." Caledon tried to pry Decker's arms off him, but the wolf wouldn't budge.

Toren arched a brow, indicating for him to go on, but he knew Caledon was going to insist they speak alone. He was careful not having any evidence or witnesses to stack against him. It was simply Toren's word and that would never hold up in a court of law.

"My lawyer didn't make it into town." Caledon stated, surprising him. His cousin ground his teeth, showing true aggravation. He held none of it back. "So, please."

Pops snorted. "No one here trusts you, not with Toren's life on the line. So you'd better speak up here and now or I'll have you arrested for trespassing. That's suspicion enough to have you investigated."

Wesley bobbed his head in agreement. "That's right."

Caledon's face twisted and he chuckled bitterly. "I'd like to discuss business with my cousin. Is that not allowed?"

"It ain't if you weren't invited," Pops grunted, standing his ground.

Caledon sighed in frustration. "Well then you'd better damn well invite me, because I'm going to be frank. You're all in way over your head."

Decker growled, tightening his hold. "Watch you tongue."

"Look," Caledon turned his eyes to Toren. "All I'm going to say is that I have answers to questions I'm sure you have about the family. I'm willing to give you a little history on the Grettlys, once you get your dogs off of me and we have a little privacy."

His suspicions rose with every word his cousin said. "And what is it that you get out of this by telling me anything at all?"

"I will only disclose that in private." Caledon shrugged awkwardly, earning another low growl from Decker.

Pops glanced back at Toren, asking him what he wanted to do. He was ready to kick Caledon's ass, by the way he stood. It made Toren smile a little.

He descended the porch steps and nodded to Decker and the boys. "Let him go."

"You sure?" Decker looked reluctant, but at another nod from him, he released Caledon with a warning growl.

Caledon adjusted his rumpled jacket and was back to looking calm. Relaxed. All fake smiles. "I knew you had sense in you."

"But we're not talking alone."

Caledon sighed heavily and muttered, "nevermind." He combed his fingers through his hair, glancing around him, gaze lingering on Wesley. "You can have one other person with you, otherwise I'm not talking, but it can't be the cop."

Toren nodded firmly. "Deal." Then he turned to Pops. "Is there someplace we can talk without being listened in on?"

Pops was disgruntled by the situation, but he reluctantly made a jerking motion with his head. "The barn. Out back."

Toren gently set a hand on Pops' arm. "Would you be willing to come with me?" He'd rather have Michael and Alexander there, but he couldn't just rip them from whatever they were doing just to be with him, and Alexander needed to rest.

Pops pat his shoulder. "Of course." He turned to the boys. "Stay here. Make sure nobody else is sneaking around."

Decker growled, but nodded, wrapping an arm around Taz's neck as the Mexican wolf tried to lunge after them. He was fussing and grumbling, glaring daggers at Caledon.

Pops led Toren and Caledon towards the backyard, where a barn stood some distance off. It was quiet and empty, old cobwebs caught in the corners and there was a musty smell. The old heavy doors slid to the side with a creak and groan when Pops pushed them wide enough for them to slip through.