Chapter 29

There was only one cat with as much grace and power as the man poised in Pop's living room. A tiger. The irritation and pure lack of a single fuck, was true to his nature. The tension in his folded arms, muscles flexed as he clutched at his biceps. He was fighting his claws, the pinholes just beneath his fingertips threatening to pierce through his skin. He wore a grimace, his teeth still on full display.

"Where is my explanation?" His eyes narrowed as he scanned them. He took each one of them in, unapologetic as he met Toren's gaze. He wanted answers.

"He took us to his villa in Hollow Wood," Pops began to explain. "We made a deal with him and-"

"So why isn't he here?" The cat snapped.

"If you would let me finish," Pops remarked. The cat gave him a glare, but let him continue. "He was exchanging your rescue for some information. But, things got complicated. Someone named Zuzana showed up, and he stayed behind to distract her while we made our escape."

The cat hissed, combing his fingers through his tangled mess of reddish orange hair. He spun on his heel and began to pace, a yowl ripping from his throat.

Michael's touch captured Toren's attention. He'd been completely frozen. Mesmerized by the terrifying beast.
His hand curled into a fist over his chest where the pain had subsided into a dull throb. "I'm ok," he rasped out, though his heart had yet to recover from the fright inflicted upon it. He was still trembling from the adrenaline.

"Stupid human," the cat seathed. "Fool."

Grey's whimpers caught Pop's attention. "Onry, take Grey outside and go see Kane." He left no room for argument, but Onry would've been quick to obey no matter what. He grabbed Grey and dragged him from the house, passing by Caledon's girls as they left.
The women looked frazzled and worn. Something told Toren it was the fault of the wildcat from the looks they were shooting him. As annoyed as they were, none of them came within ten feet of him, giving him a wide birth.

Decker shuffled his feet and began to give an awkward introduction. "This Geoffrey. Geof, these are my family." When he gestured around the room, he made a wide sweep to include them all.
Taz bristled, trying to look tough. He stared the cat down, even though he was scared.

The cat barely even looked at him, dismissing him like he was a pup still in diapers. His slitted pupils found Toren, and he pursed his lips. "Did he say when he'd be back? If he'd contact you? Call you? Something!" When Toren grimaced and shook his head, his face scrunched up, and he turned away, growling out his frustration. The cat slammed his fist against the wall. He hit it with so much force, Toren expected there to be a hole, but the wall miraculously stayed intact, only shuddering under the force. "Dammit!" He took a deep breath and combed his fingers through his hair, tipping his head back. He looked like he was in a power struggle with his instincts.

"This... Zuzana person can't be that dangerous, can she?" Landon asked, looking around the room for some kind of answer.

Toren hooted and looked down. He only had a single twisted memory of her, but little else. However, the cat seemed to have a better grasp.

"She's a mental case," the cat hissed. "And she hates losing. She's fucking smart, on top of it. Caledon can hold an act, but he'll crack under the pressure." He grit his teeth. "I told him getting involved in this whole thing would fuck him over."

"You know?" Toren blinked slowly, surprised. "About everything that's going on?"

The cat turned his slitted gaze upon him, looking down at him beneath hooded eyes. A look that would appear relaxed if he were anything but a cat. "Do you?" He countered, then he shifted his stance. "I helped find you, birdie. I know your situation, and I know Caledon well enough to guess that he's only fed you the story he wants you to hear." He shook his head, but there was a fondness in his fierce eyes that seemed to calm the storm brewing within him. "If I can't get ahold of him, we're going to have to move to plan C."