Chapter 6

Toren was carted back into the main room by the children. People always told him he was friendly sized. The perfect little companion for kids.

A familiar noise caught his attention. It was his phone. Someone was calling him. He always knew it was his because of the distinct and unique ringtone he had. It was his own hooting, drawn out into a little melody. His mom had recorded it one night, when she caught him perched on his bedroom windowsill playing around with his vocals. He was only thirteen at the time. His mom had jokingly set it as his default ringtone when they got him his first phone three years later. He just continued to use it since then. It wasn't like anyone knew it was him anyway.
That brought him to the question of who was calling him.

He managed to wriggle free from the kids and hop over to where someone had neatly folded his clothing and set them up on one of the recliners.
The Alpha and his group had taken notice to the incoming call.

"Myra, boys, leave Mr. Toren be now. Come here and play with us," Victoria called to her children in a gentle tone, stretching her arms out, which they ran to.

Toren cast her a grateful look before hopping up onto the chair. He used his beak to pull his phone out of his pocket and glanced at the screen. He hooted when he knew it wasn't one he recognized.
He put it into the middle of his clothing pile and began to make a quick sack out of the shirt. The bundle was carefully wrapped and he picked it up, hopping back to the floor.

He would've shifted back right there, but not with the kids around. Toren wasn't shy or bothered by being naked in front of anyone, though his mother would tell him it was indecent.

He carried his bundle up the stairs, leaving the group. He'd already missed the call, so he took his time. After he'd shifted and changed, he called the number back.

"Hello?" A woman answered on the other end. She sounded vaguely familiar.

"Hi, this number called a few minutes ago?"

"Oh! Yes, is this Toren Grettly?" She sounded perky, but not particularly annoying.

"Yes, this is."

"Hi, Toren, this is Bree from the Realtor office, I was just calling to let you know that I was able to get ahold of the cabin owner. He'd be happy to set up a tour for this evening, if you're available?"

Toren lit up and combed his fingers through his hair. "Yes, I'm definitely free this evening. What time were you thinking?"

"Does six O'clock sound good?"

"Yes, six is good." He nodded, even though she couldn't see it.

"Perfect. Well, let me call him back and I'll text you the details as soon as I can."

"Thank you."

"Of course, Mr. grettly, have a good day," she chirped before hanging up.

Toren sighed happily. He only had one more day at the bed and breakfast. He'd need a few more to get through all of the paperwork that came with renting, but he wanted to cement in a place to stay as soon as possible. He hoped Betty would be able to extend his stay, and didn't have any more guests coming in, but there was the inn if he needed to. Push come to shove, he could also park somewhere and just sleep in his car again.

He started to shove his things into his backpack. He'd never really put it all back after dumping it out the other evening.
Shouldering the bag, he headed downstairs, noting the group was missing two people. The young man and the bear.
He gave them a small wave before heading out the door. He jogged to his car, feeling the cold nip at his skin. His owl was so much warmer.