Only Time Will Tell

Chapter 12: Only Time Will Tell pt.1
3rd Person POV
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"J, I can sit down without you trying to manhandle me," Stella laughed as she sat down on the medical table, handing her crutches to Jordan who was trying his hardest to help the girl, but was really just getting in the girl's way.

"I can't believe you're walking this good since the last physical therapy appointment I went to a few weeks back," Jordan stated as he tried to hold back his laughter.

"Ha ha ha," Stella chuckled, "I was learning how to walk again."

"More like re-learning how to fall on your ass again," Jordan joked causing Stella to reach forward and smack his shoulder.

"Shut up," Stella scolded her best friend as they heard a faint knock on the door. Jordan and Stella straightened up and tried to act like they weren't just laughing at one another as the doctor entered the room.

"Stella," Dr. Link, Stella's surgeon and follow-up doctor, greeted Stella. "I see you brought your friend with you again."

"Oh, he's just the chauffeur," Stella teased the boy causing him to roll his eyes playfully. 

"I can't wait till you can drive again so I can have you cart me around everyone and see how it feels," Jordan replied back with a smirk.

"Looks like that should be soon," Dr. Link reported with a smile on his face as he held up Stella's chart in his hands. 

"What?" Stella asked stunned as her and Jordan shared a confused glance.

"Yeah, what she said," Jordan agreed with a head nod as they both faced the doctor again.

"You are one tough kid," Dr. Link stated, holding his smile. "I've never seen a patient improve and gain as much mobility back as you have in this short time span."

"Does that mean I can make it back for the end of this season?" Stella asked hopeful. Jordan gripped onto her hand as they waited to hear the doctor's answer.

"I'm not so sure if you will return at all," Dr. Link stated with a sigh as his head dropped a little. "While yes, it's impressive that you are healing at a very fast rate, I'm still not sure how well your leg will respond to a high-intensity game; such as lacrosse."

"That wasn't the answer I was looking for," Stella sighed as Jordan squeezed her hand tightly to comfort her.

"Look," Dr. Link stared off. "If you keep up your physical therapy sessions and keep putting in the work that you are doing, maybe- and I mean very low chance maybe, you might be able to play by next season with hardly any problems."

"Are you serious?" Stella exclaimed, standing up from the medical table- using her good leg to lift herself up mostly.

"Careful," Jordan warned the girl as he helped balance her in case she fell.

"He's right," Dr. Link laughed softly. "If your mobility continues to increase at the rate it is, there could be a slight chance that you can make a full recovery. I've heard about it from other doctors, but I have never seen it for myself just yet."

"You are literally the best doctor ever if you can get me back on that field by my senior year," Stella smiled brightly.

"It's not a guarantee yet, El," Jordan reminded his best friend.

"There is a chance that your range of motion will stop improving. Patients with this type of injury make it to where you are and that's about it. You're ahead of the game but that doesn't mean you are on your way to being at normal range of motion."