Chapter 16: Memories

Tom's POV

I groaned and felt an ache in my back that I couldn't remember where it came from. I stretched my arm to the side and instead of hitting my plushy comforter, it hit something hard and wooden which made my stinging eyes shoot open.

It took me a moment to realize that I was laying on the ground. Why was I on the ground? I saw my living room light right above me, and I realized that I had accidentally smacked my television stand with my hand. I shook my hand out and then tried to go over in my head as to why I was laying on the ground.

Did I black out here last night? My head was feeling fine, a little light but I didn't feel hungover and I didn't even remember drinking. The last thing I remember... I don't remember the last thing I remember. I know I went to work yesterday, and a vague memory of me coming home early was lingering in my brain. I couldn't tell you why I came home. Maybe I wasn't feeling very good and then I passed out?

I slowly sat up and held my head in my hands for a moment before I gathered the strength to stand up. I was on my feet and I figured that if I did pass out yesterday, I should probably get some water and something to eat before I do anything else. I shuffled over to the kitchen and grabbed a glass cup from my cabinet and got myself some water. I drank about half the glass before I took a breath. Something about this morning felt off, like I was missing something or forgetting something.

Do I have work today?

No, it's my day off.

Do I have any homework?

No, I'm not on a case.

Was I supposed to go grocery shopping?

Probably.

The air was still and a sense of emptiness swirled around my head. I tried not to let this feeling bother me, because I felt like there was no reason. Maybe I'm just bored.

I put my empty glass in the sink and then my hand patted my jeans, where I heard a crinkle of paper. Curious, I reached into my pocket and pulled out a folded sheet of paper. I could not remember putting this in my pocket, and it took me a second to realize that it was in my own handwriting. My eyebrows came together, because I did not remember writing it.

Tom, it's me, Tom.
Nadiya Baines is a time traveler from 2080. She was taken back by the government.
Joyce= Nadiya
She joined Jump Street in November

What kind of drugs was I slipped?

Who is Joyce?

The more I read that first bit of my self-note, I realized how familiar it sounded, like I once dreamt about this. I closed my eyes and the bright smile of a woman flashed behind my eyelids. I quickly opened my eyes again, but for the life of me I couldn't remember who this Joyce was. I think I would remember someone who worked at Jump Street since November.

You're probably wondering why you don't remember this.

I know myself so well.

An agent will be back to wipe our memory of her. In our brain, she will no longer exist. Fuller thinks she went to the Metropolis Psychiatric Hospital. Look at the video camera for proof.

Highly confused and impressed with this phantom note that knows my need for physical evidence, I decided to take its advice. I've always kept my video camera in my closet so I fished it out and played the most recent videotape I used.

The first few clips were from last summer, spending time with my friends at the lake or going fishing and road-tripping with Doug. I got some videos of the changing trees and of the rain, but then there was a clip of me, Ioki, and Doug doing our annual Christmas Brando impersonation. I smiled softly, and then the camera cut to a pan around the Christmas party, where it landed on a woman I recognized for a split second. She had the same smile that I saw when I closed my eyes.