Chapter 20: Until The End of Time

2025

Tom began writing his famous autobiography in 2025, shortly after our thirty-fifth wedding anniversary. I'm not sure if I'll live to see 2057, the year I was born, but I know that Tom doesn't. I've kept my knowledge of his departure from this life a secret, because I want to enjoy the time I have left with him.

The years had been nothing short of magical and overall amazing. So many unbelievable adventures that I could perhaps write about in the future. We spent our warm summers walking around barefoot in the sand, we have laughed so hard we thought we would die, and we spent our youth running free in the streets, like it's only me and him. I will love him until the end of time.

Once he decided it was time to write his memoir, I knew his time in law enforcement was coming to a gentle end. I was constantly finding him hunched over his favorite typewriter, and the distant memory of reading his autobiography warmed my heart. Little did I know, I would be helping him write it.

I came by with a lunch tray for him, with some lemonade and a sandwich to set on his desk. He looked back at me after typing his sentence and he said, "thanks, sweetheart."

I placed my hands on his shoulders and leaned down to give him a kiss. I bent down to hug him from behind, letting my chin rest against his shoulder and rubbing my hand on his chest. My other hand reached to lift up the page he was writing on and I read a paragraph.

"The ways of the world have never been clear. As you get older and grow, things tend to fall into place but there's always going to be an unexplainable mystery that will gnaw at you for decades. People who left an everlasting impact on your life will vanish without a trace, and there is nothing you can do. They could be a woman, a love, a partner... for me, that person was all three. That person, was Joyce Bates."

I smiled softly and chuckled, "you make it seem like I disappeared."

He laughed gently. "That's the point."

I grinned and kissed his scruffy cheek. "I know. You're doing great."

I left him to work. Maybe I'll write a memoir about being a time traveler who found love. Of course I wouldn't have it published until long after I'm gone. I wouldn't want to be considered insane or anything.

I guess what I have taken away from this incredible experience, is that you should go for what you want. Love who you want, and live your life the way you want with no regrets. Every single day is a gift, this is why it's called the present.

You can control your own destiny. You have the power to rewrite the stars with everything you do. You can be whatever you want to be. Do whatever you want to do. You have time. Just slow down and enjoy the ride. You only get one life, so live it well. Besides, your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. So make it a good one.

Many many thanks to everyone who read, voted, commented, and supported me while I wrote this. I really hope that you all liked it, because I had so much fun writing a time traveling book! I love you all so so much ❤️❤️