Chapter 1

Locke closed his eyes and timed his breathing to calm his pounding heart. He wondered if the person next to him could hear it as well. One quick glance to his right and he saw a man, probably slightly older than him. He had a set of papers in his hand and was muttering to himself. He didn't look any better either.

Locke pulled back his attention to his own set of papers, the sides that were handed to him by his agent, and clutched it dearly. He was finally able to gather his thoughts but his left foot still tapped uncontrollably. No matter how many times he did this, he could never get used to it.

He glanced at his watch for the hundredth time today. Sometimes out of habit, not really looking to see the time. He had been here, waiting for 2 hours. Breakfast seemed like ages ago. Wait, did he even eat something today? He couldn't remember.

Around him, there were all sorts of people. The long hallway they were all in had three shut rooms. Men around his age, dressed in similar brown clothing (which had been the requirement) were gathered at one corner of the hallway. A little further to his right, were a bunch of kids with their guardians. The guardians looked more nervous than the kids themselves. And at the far end of the hallway, were a few older, well-dressed women. Everyone held a paper in their hands. Some walked around while the rest sat quietly, rehearsing by themselves. It was all too familiar to Locke.

Having faced multiple rejections before, Locke could sympathize with most gathered here. Some of their lives probably depended on this just like Locke's.

'Not many make it through. They say persistence and hard work is the key but it's hard to be persistent when you're faced with back-to-back 'no's.' Skip had warned him when he signed up with Sera and Sarah Entertainment.

Right after he signed the contract, they shook hands and with a weary smile on his face, Skip spoke, 'I hope to work with you for a long time,'

Surprisingly, the memory sort of helped Locke calm down. He turned to his left as he heard a door open. A middle aged, scrawny man stepped out with an ipad in his hand. Adjusting his spectacles while reading the content of the screen, he called out, 'Mr. Locke?'

Locke stood, his right palm raised instinctively, 'Here!'

'You'll be called in next. Please stand by,'

Locke nodded and frantically collected his papers and straightened himself. He shook his hands and legs, a sort of a warming-up gesture, hoping it would drive the nervousness away. He coughed to adjust his voice and crouched down in front of the steel water cooler, adjusting a few stray brown strands from his reflection.

He straightened again, pursed his lips and exhaled.

Right, let's do this!

**************************

The audition hall was nothing fancy. It was just enough to fit the casting panel of 4 who were flipping through their clipboards, waiting for the next person to come in. Huge lights were fixed to the ceiling and angled to focus on the centre of the room where an x-mark was taped on the floor. A white screen hung on the wall opposite to the panel. The camera operator adjusted his equipment while looking at the monitor screen next to him.

A white cupboard stood at the corner of the room, a prop from another set. Someone must have forgotten to put it away. But for Keeye, who had been hiding behind it for a while now, it had been a blessing.

The casting director, Mr. Gray and the other staff had repeatedly tried to convince him to join them in the panel but he refused politely each time, assuring them that he had dropped by only to observe. It was true anyway. Now that he had been pushed into this, he might as well put in efforts. That was his way of work after all.