Chapter 8

Locke froze right before the glass touched his lip, causing his drink to spill. The whole table went silent and stared dumbfoundedly at the end where Pam and Sana sat.

Sana grinned. 'Exactly the dramatic reaction I was hoping for!' She said, clapping her hands.

No response. They were still trying to process the news Pam delivered to them. Locke was the first one to pull himself together. He held out his drink towards Pam and Sana and spoke, 'Congratulations! You two look lovely together. That explains why Sana abandoned me as my makeup artist,' causing the table to laugh.

'Come on Locke, you're being slightly over dramatic...I've given my best styling your character,' Sana replied.

'Uh huh, that's why I walked into the set with glitter on my eyelids that was clearly Pam's makeup,' Locke joked.

'That was one time!' Sana protested but she was grinning as well.

The seven of them - Locke, Keeye, Pam, Sana, Iris, Mint, Vee, were hanging out at Lit, for a small celebration of Pam's birthday when Pam and Sana came out to all of them announcing that they were dating. With another week left before the wrap up of the shooting for Falling for Dawn, the seven had become good friends off-set.

'We wanted you all to know before we made any decisions of being public about our relationship,' Pam explained.

'Yes, going public is a big decision, so take your time about it. But we're all rooting for you!' Iris encouraged. She was back on the sets for the final couple of episodes. Her character, Iris, who had been Dawn's long term ex, returns to stir up things between Dawn and Hunter.

'I'm happy for you two as well! But honestly, I did not see that coming!' Mint confessed.

'Mint, even if a huge-ass truck was heading straight at you with its headlights blaring, you'd still not see it coming,' Vee teased him.

'Ah...that hurt. But you're probably right about that,' Mint laughed.

Right on cue, Pam's birthday cake was brought in and everyone stood, breaking into a very off-pitched, out-of-sync version of the birthday song. Locke looked around the table, smiling to himself. He felt grateful to have met these people. As his eyes drifted from one person to the other, they lingered longer on the one standing opposite to him, at the other end of the table. Sana and Pam's declaring their relationship...Locke couldn't help feel hopeful. But he brushed off those thoughts as soon as they formed. He knew that he was longing for something that was not meant to be. He looked down at his feet, a sense of guilt crept up on him along with the heart break.

When the celebrations came to an end, the group went their own ways.

'See you all on Monday!' waved Vee as she got into the cab. The ones that had their own vehicles, headed to the parking lot.

Locke stood outside the pub, pondering. He shifted from one foot to the other, his arms inside his coat pocket. The night air was chilly and his breath was getting misty. Finally he turned around and hurried down to the building's basement.

He tried to remember Keeye's vehicle number and wondered if he had already left. But when he got to the parking lot entrance, he found Keeye standing right outside, putting out the cigarette butt and throwing it into the nearby trash can. Upon hearing footsteps behind him, he turned.

A surprised smile broke on his face, 'Locke,'

Under the dim parking lights, Locke could see the tiredness in his eyes. But his smile was genuine. Keeye waited while Locke racked his brain, trying to find the right words.