Chapter 20

Chapter 20: Not Endgame

I dragged my feet through school. I had considered faking being sick, but after coming home at eight o' clock, my parents were already pretty pissed out at me. Not even stomach cramps would have swayed them.

"Everything ok?" Chrissie asked, taking in my dark mood.

"Yip." I gave her a thumbs-ups. I had dressed from head to toe in black; I wasn't feeling very colourful today.

She was in too much of a good frame-of-mind to argue. "I met this hot guy yesterday."

"Another one?" I asked, only slightly bewildered.

She rolled her eyes. "Anyway, he had a friend and asked if I knew anyone who could even out a double date."

My mood perked up. A break from Caspian was probably exactly what I needed, but I was still grounded. I guessed I could sneak out again. I couldn't get in much more trouble, could I?

Chrissie continued. "I thought of you, but then I remembered you were already with Caspian."

"Actually, a double date sounds great," I told her. "Caspian and I aren't on such good grounds right now."

"OMG, did he break up with you?" She put her hands on either side of her face and her mouth opened in a perfect 'o'.

Why did she think he dumped me, and not the other way around? "Not exactly," I replied.

"But just yesterday you were snogging like it was going out of fashion, " she said, making me blush.

"Do you or don't you want that double date?" I asked, my patience running out.

"I'll call them right away." She put her phone to her ear, before I could change my mind.

She flipped her hair, just as a male voice answered the phone. The phone volume was so loud she might as well have had it on speaker mode; I could hear every word.

"Tomorrow night?" She looked at me, her eyebrows raised.

I nodded my head.

"Perfect," she said into the phone.

After a bit more unnecessary chit chat, she hung up.

"Wait until you meet them," she shrieked, jumping up and down.

"I can't wait." I plastered a smile on my face, hoping she wouldn't see past my mask. And that's when I saw him.

Caspian looked at me out of the corner of his eye as he walked past me, but made no attempt to try and talk to me. Not that I would've listened, but he should have tried anyway. He should have been relieved that I had made it back home in one piece. A teenage girl walking home at night practically screamed 'predator'.