Chapter 57

Chapter 57: The Waves

"Lay on your belly while you're paddling out to sea," Caspian instructed.

"Right." I took a deep breath in.

"Slowly stand up, evenly distributing your weight," he continued.

"I can't do this," I decided.

"It's not difficult," Caspian said, trying to persuade me to carry on trying to surf.

"Easy for you to say." I drew patterns in the warm sand with my big toe.

"We'll use one board," Caspian suggested. "I won't let go of you."

Part of me wanted to stay right where I was and sunbath, but the other part of me wanted to engage in the activity which Caspian found enjoyable.

"Ok," I agreed. "But just once."

Caspian nodded, smiling goofily. "Let's catch some waves."

I sat with my legs dangling out on either side of the board, while Caspian kicked to propel us forward. The sun beat down on the exposed parts of my body, which to be fair was most of my body. Caspian had secured a band around my ankle, to prevent me getting swept away from the current, in the 'unlikely' case that I fell off the board. I don't know what Caspian was overestimating, my ability to balance on a piece of Styrofoam or his ability to keep me safe. I saw a wave picking up in the distance. A large wave that looked like it was eager to swallow me up and tear the meat from my bones.

I gulped.

Caspian followed the path of my eyes and laughed. "I'm not going to make you catch a major wave."

Caspian pointed toward a much smaller wave and started paddling us towards it. I breathed in a sigh of relief.

"You live in Sunset Coast and you've never surfed before." Caspian seemed to find this fact very amusing.

"I value my life enough to stay away from any extreme water sports," I retorted. Except for a few waves here and there the ocean was calm and beautiful. It was a slightly lighter blue than the sky, and the sun made the water look like crystals. Fish tickled my feet as they passed, making me squirm.

Caspian stood up and the board rocked uneasily. I was regretting my decision of not going to school. I held onto the board for dear life; my nails dug into the polystyrene, leaving finger marks in what I assumed was an expensive piece of equipment.

"You need to stand up," Caspian told me.

I obeyed, causing the board to dip forward. I would have lost my footing if Caspian hadn't secured his arm around my waist. I buried my head in Caspian's bare chest and shut my eyes tightly, confident that Caspian could stir us to safety.

There was a slight hiccup, which caused me to whimper. I waited for the wave to wash over us and sweep me away. But to my surprise I remained standing, so either I had met death so quickly I didn't feel it, or death was still approaching.

"You can open your eyes." Caspian nudged me. "It's over."

"What?"

"We just conquered a small wave," he replied. I could feel laughter making its way up his body.

"That's it?" I asked, wondering why I had wasted so much time worrying over something that was safer than feeding goldfish.

"If that wasn't enough, we can always go track down that wave you saw earlier," Caspian suggested as he bopped my nose.

I shook my head. "No thanks."

Caspian stifled his laughter and paddled us back to the shore.

"Well, that was enlightening," I commented.

"Your expression was definitely enlightening," Caspian teased, throwing the surfboard across the sand and coming to sit down next to me.

"I'm not sure which I want to do more, smack you or kiss you." I shook my head and pretended to be lost in thought.

"Tell me as soon as you make your decision." Caspian nibbled on my earlobe. He whisked my hair to the side and pressed his lips to my neck, kissing away all the drops of water that clung stubbornly to my skin. "You should have packed a wet suit, instead of a bikini," Caspian whispered, running his fingers along the length of my barely covered back.

"I would have if I realised you'd take me surfing," I replied, not mentioning the fact that I didn't own a wet suit.

"I want to go surf," Caspian told me. "But you're too distracting, I'd probably drown from wanting to keep my eyes on you."

"Stop flirting," I ordered.

"I wasn't flirting," Caspian argued. "I was simply stating the truth."

I rolled my eyes and leaned back into his chest, gazing at the myriad of water particles that was the ocean. It looked so beautiful from back here, with the light from the horizon making it look like a version of heaven.

Please vote and comment, if you enjoyed this chapter.