Chapter 69

Chapter 69: Cocoon

"Where's mommy?" a little voice squeaked, making Caspian and I both gasp. In all the chaos we had forgotten about Molly.

"She had to head out," Caspian lied. "So, she called me to watch over you." As if on cue, a loud banging sound erupted from upstairs.

Molly rushed to Caspian's side, her bare feet making no sound as they touched the cold tiles. "Monster!" she exclaimed. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a single, tight French braid and she was dressed in a fluffy pink onesie, with a hood that had a unicorn horn attached to it.

"No monsters." Caspian soothed her by placing a hand on her head. Her bottom lip trembled. Caspian's parents continued to bang loudly on the door.

"I'm scared," Molly breathed, her hand grasping Caspian's.

"What the hell?" Noah stumbled into the living room, rubbing his head. "What the hell is happening?" Noah wasn't completely sober, but he was more sober than he was a couple of hours ago.

Caspian bent down and affectionately wiped his sister's tears, ignoring Noah completely. "Don't cry, baby girl. There's nothing to be afraid about. Monsters only live in naughty children's rooms, but you're a good girl. The only thing that could possibly be living in your room is fairies."

This seemed to do the trick, as Molly had stopped crying and was smiling. Caspian stroked her damp cheek, before standing up and turning to Noah. "Madelyn and I have to leave." Caspian took my hand in his and left the key to his parents' bedroom on one of the suede couches. "Watch over Molly," Caspian ordered.

I wasn't worried that Noah would let Mr and Mrs Gray out, he seemed too out of it to do anything; but I was worried about Molly. I pulled back on Caspian's hand. "Is she safe with him?" I looked towards Molly, not prepared to leave her in the company of a drunkard, even if that drunkard was her brother.

Caspian assessed the situation. "We can't take her back to HQ," he reasoned.

That was even worse. "We should stay here," I suggested. "Until it's time to let your parents out."

Caspian nodded his head and grabbed the keys, placing them in his back pocket.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" Caspian crouched in front of his little sister.

"The stars are awake, so I'm awake," she replied, quoting Frozen and making me realise how much she reminded me of Elsa, with her blond hair and big eyes.

Caspian chuckled before picking her up, and carrying her up the stairs.

"You going to tell me what's happening?" I jumped at the sound of Noah's voice. I had actually forgotten he was there until now.

I remained silent and took my bottom lip between my teeth, contemplating what to tell him.

"Forget it," Noah replied, saving me from racking my brain further. "I need sleep."

Noah was just about to climb up the stairs, when Mr. and Mrs. Gray started screaming wildly. "SOMEONE HELP." I winced, wondering how Caspian was going to explain that to his sister.

Noah swore under his breath. "This family is insane." He ran a hand through his hair. "I'll sleep in my car." Noah struck me as the kind of person who cared about no one, besides himself.

I sighed as Noah's figure disappeared into the night.

"Where'd he go?" Caspian came up behind me, pulled me into his chest and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Sleeping in his car," I responded.

"Speaking of sleep..." Caspian trailed off.

"I'm not tired," I told him, instantly betrayed by the yawn that escaped my mouth.

Caspian chuckled softly, before lightly pressing his lips to mine. He placed my hands on his hips and guided me to the couch. He sat down first, before pulling me into his lap. I rested my head on his chest and inhaled his sweet scent. I planted a kiss just above where his shirt ended. Caspian's parents had finally given up trying to escape and the house was filled with silence. The only sound was the even breathing of two teenagers. Caspian's arms were my safe place. He was my cocoon shielding me from the terrors of the night. I felt comforted and safe. This was not the first time I realised that what Caspian and I had was unique. It was the kind of love that couldn't be replicated, the everlasting kind that spoke to your soul and made you feel like the world was in the palm of your hand.

Please vote and comment, if you enjoyed this chapter.