As if it Was All a Dream

Before

"I thought there would be more than this. This is peaceful in a way," I say as a cool breeze sweeps across the blowing dunes; a shiver runs up my spine. A strong arm wraps around me and I lean into the comforting presence. The ground rumbles beneath us  as a dark cloud forms on the horizon, taking over the sky.

"I suppose it is in it's own macabre way."

The sand next to me shifts as we are joined by the rest of our group. A large calloused hand grips mine, squeezing tightly, trying to forget about the feeling of shame that rests on all of our shoulders. A third of the sky is black now.

"Does it always feel like this?"

We all look to our leader, the only one who could possibly answer this question. The only one who remembers what we might have been feeling in hundreds of past lifetimes.

She doesn't meet our eyes, instead looking towards the figure looming in the distance. She is silent for a long minute before finally speaking.

"Maybe in the next life I can protect you all from feeling this way."

The wind picks up bringing the sand with it. Struggling to breath I stare at the rise and fall of the chest next to me, trying to sync our movements. My fingers are beginning to lose feeling, and I finally meet Ajak's eye. Her mouth tightens into a line before she simply nods her head in my direction.

The sky goes dark as if it is just another passing night. I think this night will last forever.

 I think this night will last forever

"It is time"

My eyes open, taking in my surroundings. A large statue of Arishem stands tall inside the circle of other Eternals that travel with me on the Domo. We have all recently come from Olympia, all but two of us on our first mission, but all hand chosen for our unique abilities. Scanning over the ten other members of my team I feel a sense of relief wash over me. I know that these are some of the most capable beings on my planet and that our mission to defeat the deviants that ravage planet Earth will be a success.

The glass window sucks the warmth from my hand as I reach towards the blue and green planet we're approaching. Sersi and Ikaris murmur off to my left and I think to join them but something flashes through my mind causing me to hang back.

A glance towards the rest of the teams tells me that everyone else has broken off into small groups as well to discuss the upcoming mission and to get to know each other. Everyone except Druig, who is half hidden in the shadowed corner of the room. He is also observing the others as they interact. As if aware that I had noticed him, his eyes flash to mine. I refuse to be the first to break eye contact so moments pass with both of us trying to get a read on the other. I think I see the slight twitch of his cheek as if he was about to smirk but at that exact moment the smallest of the group, Sprite, marches up to me informing me that Ajak has called a meeting in the other room.

As I settle in to listen to Ajak speak I can only hope that our mission is over quickly and that I can return to Olympia.