Picking Up the Broken Pieces

THEN

It had been many years since that night when the eternals all went their separate ways. Meda had seen some of the eternals on occasion but never for any significant amount of time. She was still angry with Ajak and Ikaris for their role in Druig leaving, she found it too difficult to be around Gilgamesh and Thena who still had each other to lean on, and Kingo and Sprite's high spirits and joking nature were difficult for Meda to handle for extended periods.  

Meda was pacing back and forth amongst the trees trying to work up the courage to finally do what she had been wanting to for years. Not long after she had left the group, Meda had found where Druig had settled, but hadn't been able to force herself to face him. Many times she had been in this exact position, staring at the ever growing village, wishing she would see Druig, but at the same time grateful that she didn't 

She was not sure how long she had been standing there but it was long enough the the sun had begun to set and her toes were starting to loose feeling. She took a step forward, then two steps back, and then repeated it again. When she had finally given up and went to turn away and leave she heard a voice call out from the shadows.

"I really thought today was going to be the day Meda. You seemed so sure of yourself when you showed up." Druig sounded slightly amused which only made Meda angry. 

"How long have you been standing there?"

"As long as you've been here."

"And you just didn't say anything?"

"You haven't said anything on any of your visits in the past. Why would I think you even wanted to talk to me?" Meda blushed with embarrassment knowing that Druig had seen her fight with herself every time she had visited him. 

"What made you talk to me this time?"

"I know how stubborn you are. I figured if I was ever going to get to talk to you again, I would have to make the first move. Besides I couldn't handle watching you walk away again."

Meda's feet moved forward of their own volition and the pair crashed into a hug. Druig's arms were strong and Meda melted into the familiarity of them. 

"I've missed you Druig. There is no place like you. I've been all over the world and never felt at home like I do with you."

"I've missed you too Meda. Walking away from you broke my heart but I knew you would come to me once you realized I did the right thing."

Suddenly the happy mood went sour. Meda pulled away from Druig and looked up into his face. 

"Druig I still don't think you were right to do what you did."

"Meda look at this place," he said indicating the village. "Look at these people, how happy they are. They live peacefully and I protect them."

"Don't tell me these people are still under your control," Meda said concerned. Druig's eyes flashed gold and everyone in the village turned to face them, eyes glowing as well. 

"Only when needed." 

"I'd forgotten how much I hate it when you're like this." 

"I'm just doing what we always wanted. I'm actually helping these people." 

"No Druig, you're not. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea. I can't be here to watch this." Meda backed away slowly maintaining eye contact with Druig the entire time. He looked as if he was going to say something a few times but no words were spoken. Angry, and in love, and feeling tremendously sorry, Meda turned and left.