Backup Plan

No one talked for a long time after Kingo left. Phastos continues to play with the pieces of gadget that Ikaris had destroyed. Sersi kept looking at the door as if everyone might come back saying it was all a joke. Meda played with the cuffs on her suit, repeatedly pushing them up and then pulling them back down. It wasn't until the soft breeze of Makkari returning to the room that the team was pulled from their shock. 

"Can someone explain what just happened?"

"Ikaris has been lying to us this whole time, he killed Ajak and never intended to let us stop the Emergence. Sprite betrayed us and went with him, and Kingo was too much of a coward to stick around," Druig signed to Makkari. "Did I miss anything?"

"He's going to kill us if we go ahead with the plan. That's if that deviant doesn't kill us first." Meda chimed in from beside him.

"Oh yeah the possibility of death at every turn. Can't forget about that." 

Makkari just nodded and sunk into the chair beside Phastos. Druig looked up to see Sersi's face, her broken heart bleeding out into her expression. He clapped once to get everyone's attention and stood up. 

"Look If I am going to get myself killed going up against Ikaris we are gonna need to have a backup plan." 

"All of our powers even if they are amplified are not enough to kill a celestial," Phastos said. 

"Sersi did turn a Deviant into a tree."

"I'm sorry, what? You didn't want to tell me that before now? You have never been able to do that before." Phastos was clearly shocked at Sersi's new power.

"I don't know how it happened okay? I am pretty sure I couldn't do it again."

"Well, now is the time to try. Don't you think?"

"Phastos, that Deviant is dead. Our plan is to put Tiamut to sleep, not to kill it. I can't kill a celestial." Sersi was getting more and more worked up as everyone looked at her. "We can't. We just can't."

Druig reached his arms out to stop her from spiralling. Resting one hand on each of her shoulders he looked her directly in the eyes and said, "It's ok Sersi I got this."

Sersi calmed down and Druig continued to act confident but Meda was unsure. As Sersi headed down the hall to Arishem's statue chamber, Meda exited as well needing a moment to herself.

Meda was standing outside of Gil's old room, unable to move her hand that rested on the doorknob, either to push it open or to pull away

"You're not going to find answers in there," Phastos said as he approached her from down the hall.

"I know. I was hoping that just being here might help me," Meda said resting her forehead against the door. "What do we do Phastos? Sersi is falling apart, Thena can't think past revenge, and we're relying on Druig being able to overpower a celestial."

"We have to try."

"What if we can't win this?"

"We can win this. I know we can. We have to, Jack deserves the chance to grow up. I wouldn't trade his life for anything. Kingo might think I'm wrong but he just doesn't understand what it's like to love them. I know one day it will end but it's worth it. Every second." Phastos was leaning against the wall looking as if he was lost in thought, his hands as always, in constant motion. Meda watched the small flashes of gold as pieces came together and were pulled apart just as quickly. Phastos who for as long as Meda had known him, always had a solution to any problem, but after a long moment he spoke, "I don't know what to do. I can't figure this out."

"You're not alone in solving this. We'll figure it out together. We just need to get the team together. Druig, Makkari, Sersi..." 

Before Meda could continue Phastos' head shot up. 

"Sersi. I've got it. I need to find Sersi." 

He stood and took off towards the other room.