Life Changing News

The next few days were rocky. Thena would often lose herself to her memories and the times where she did have a sound mind she was withdrawn. It was hard for Thena who had been powerful and strong all of her life to feel so helpless and out of control. Days that were hard for Thena were hard for Gilgamesh as well, so it was up to Meda to bring some liveliness to the home. She regaled Thena with stories of her travels all over the world and she taught Gilgamesh some of the new recipes she had picked up in the past few years. Meda was sitting watching as Gil worked on his third batch of tattie scones trying to perfect the recipe, when from the corner of her eye she saw Thena take off in a full sprint towards the pair.

"Hey Gil, heads up," Meda warned. He looked up confused before clocking Thena who now held a gold spear in her hand.

"Thena, what're you doing? It's us, Gilgamesh and Meda. You know us. We don't need to fight." The bowl clattered to the floor as he took up a defensive stance facing towards their friend.

"Something feels wrong." There was a feeling of fear in the pit of her stomach, even during her worst breakdowns, Meda had never felt afraid of Thena. It was then she looked at the intense gaze on Thena's face, looking not at them but just over their shoulders. Turning just in time to see the fleshy, viny body of a deviant jump, teeth bared towards Gilgamesh. Before Meda could react and create a shield between the deviant and her friend, Thena's golden spear flew through the air knocking the monster to the side. Jumping right into action, Gilgamesh linked his hands together and held them out as a springboard to launch Thena towards where the deviant had fallen. The deviant went to bite Thena on her approach which finally shook Meda from her frozen position. She threw up her hand, forming a barrier around the deviant's jaw, and formed a fist causing it's snarling mouth to shut as the force field closed around it.

Thena's hands began to shake and her eyes flickered between their regular blue and white. Her next kick, instead of being aimed at the deviant, hit Gilgamesh square in the back.

"Of all the times, Thena. We couldn't have done this last week when I had that kink in my back? Meda you're going to have to hold this guy off for a minute." With that he ushered Thena as far away from the fight as possible to calm her down.

The fight ended with the deviant dead in a pile on the hill and Meda and Gilgamesh leaning up against the house, nursing their wounds.

"I feel like that used to be easier," Meda said, wiping a streak of blood off her forehead.

"I certainly don't remember sweating this much back then."

"Where's Thena? Is she good?"

"Yeah she's fine. She's in the back. I just need a moment to rest and then I'll go sit with her."

A couple deep breaths later Gil pushed himself to his feet, extending a hand down to Meda. She waved him off, opting to sit for a while longer.

Meda was pulling the pie out of the oven when she heard far off voices getting closer

"You are about to meet two of the greatest warriors the world has ever known. Thena, legendary, deadly, fashionable. And her trusted friend, a mighty powerhouse of strength. The fearsome Gilgamesh!"

Meda looked over her shoulder only to be greeted by a camera in her face and the surprised looks on her teammates' faces.

"Meda? What are you doing here and where are Gilgamesh and Thena?" Kingo said, breaking the silence.

"Turn around Kingo he's pretty hard to miss."

"Took you guys long enough. You look younger than usual today Sprite," Gilgamesh chimed in as he exited the house. "Who are you?"

"I'm Karun, Kingo's valet."

"Ohh like Alfred in... What's that movie Meda? You know the one."

"Batman."

"Yes Batman, that's it."

"Gilgamesh listen up. The deviants are back."

"Yeah no shit, we could've used some help with that one. We're a little out of practice."

Gilgamesh began to tease Ikaris about his run in with a deviant in London. Meda smiled at her closest friends in the world, excited to see them for the first time in centuries.

"Well since you're here, want some pie?" Instantly the mood in the group shifted from excitement of seeing each other again to an uncomfortable silence.

"There's something you guys should know, Ajak's dead," and just like that the air went out from Meda's lungs.