• 24 •

I had already pre-warned Isabelle's colleagues that I would be going into the salon today to talk to them. I had spoken to Melissa on the phone who is the one who's in charge when Isabelle isn't there. When I first rang her to let her know I'd be going in, she didn't sound very thrilled to hear from me. I guess it was because Isabelle had suddenly left them for a week without any explanation. However, that soon changed once I'd told her that something had happened to Isabelle. I didn't explain what though as I thought it would be best to tell them face-to-face, plus I could also check for myself to see how the salon is going and if there's any mail to collect.

The salon is only about a 10/15 minute drive from our house, so it really isn't that far. I managed to parallel park right outside because it's normally quieter this time of the week.

I hopped out of my car and made my way inside. I did notice, as I was walking from my car to the salon, that I got a few looks from people walking past, but I think that was mainly because my face still looked slightly beat up from all the fights Martin and I got into.

As I went inside, I acknowledged the girls in there. One was cleaning the basin area and another was just finishing up her client. Melissa was at the desk because her client just left as I was walking in, so I decided to head over to her.

"Hey" I greeted softly with a smile as I made my way to her.

"Hey Nathan, how are you? Is everything okay?" She asked with a concerned look on her face. Obviously my face wasn't helping either.

"Uh... Yeah, I'll explain everything when we're all ready" I replied, lowering my voice slightly so no one, especially the client, heard.

"Okay" she said and gave me a little nod.

"How are you? How have things been here?"

"I've been well thank you, and it's been fine here, obviously we've just had to move Isabelle's clients around but it hasn't been much of a problem," she started saying and then hesitated a bit, "just know, whatever has happened at home, I'll do everything to make sure it doesn't affect the salon."

"Thank you so much, that means a lot and I know Isabelle will be grateful too, I'll explain everything because I think you guys deserve to know," I finished saying just as Katie was coming over with her client to take the bill. "Do we have any mail?" I asked Melissa.

"Yeah, it's all here" she replied while grabbing a stack from under the desk and then passing it to me.

I took the stack and stepped back from the desk to give Katie and her client some room. I flicked through the mail and let out a little sigh, "bills... Bills... Oh great, and more bills," I loudly muttered to myself, "Isabelle's going to love that" I sarcastically added which made everyone chuckle.

Once Katie's client had gone, Melissa turned to me, "would you like a tea or coffee, Nathan?"

"No no, I'm fine thank you, I really won't be that long."

"Okay, I'll just go and get Louise" she replied and went off into the staff room.

Seconds later, Louise appeared, the girl from earlier who was cleaning the basin area. Now they were all here and ready for some answers, except Zara because she was away at the moment but I'm sure the other girls will let her know.

"Okay" I started off saying. I hadn't really prepared a speech or anything, so I was kind of just winging it. "Both Isabelle and I are so so sorry for leaving you girls to hold the fort for a week without any explanation." (Fuck, where do I go from here?) "Um, I don't know if any of you were aware, but last week I was away in New York for a business trip" I noticed Melissa nodded her head to this, I guess to show she knew. "The day that I had left, a man came to our house and kidnapped Isabelle to keep for ransom."

As soon as I said this, all of the girl's jaws dropped.

"What?!" Katie said in shock.

"Is she okay?! Is she back home now?" Melissa then asked.

"Yes, she's back home now," I quickly reassured them in a soothing voice to try and calm them down a bit, "however, she's not doing very well. Thank god she wasn't physically hurt, but mentally it's taking a massive toll on her, hence why I'm here talking to you today, instead of her."

"Omg bless her, I can imagine," Melissa said, still in disbelief, "how did you get her back? Did you have to pay?"

I chuckled slightly, "I guess you could say I paid in a different way" I joked and pointed at my face.

"I was going to ask, what happened to you?" Louise said.

"So once I had got back from New York, he was at our house and we got into a fight and he cut my arm," I said and pulled my left shacket sleeve up to show them the bandage. "Then he somehow found out that I wasn't going to give him any money, so he kidnapped me as well and basically used me as a punching bag. I now have a fractured rib" I finished saying and lightly touched it.

"So he took you as well?!" Melissa said with wide eyes, "how did you escape?"

"I managed to get free and fought him off" was all I said, I didn't really want to get into too much detail as to what happened.

However, since you've all stuck with us throughout this story, I guess you guys deserve to know...