3

"This place is still so giant...I can't figure anything out," Childe muttered, walking into the cafeteria finally. "Zhongli gave me such a nice tour, with history and everything, why can't I figure it out? I'm so late for breakfast." Childe sighed, feeling his stomach growl. All of the tables were filled and the only things left to eat were scarce and not entirely delicious. 

Childe grabbed what he could and put it on a tray. He scanned the area and made eye contact with a Zhongli. There were various Geo House members around him but he made space next to him, should Childe wish to sit there. 

"Thank you," Childe whispered, sitting down. 

"Did you have trouble locating the cafeteria?" Zhongli asked. 

"Yeah," Childe nodded. 

"Here," Zhongli looked through his bag and pulled out what looked like a scroll. Childe opened it up and it was a map of the school. Various levels drawn in fine ink. 

"Did you make this?" 

"Mhm," Zhongli nodded. "I figured you might need it." 

"Thank you." 

"Zhongli!" A rather tall and buff individual placed his hands on his hips. He appeared to have only one level of vocal capability: really loud. "Who is this fellow?" 

"Yeah, yeah, Zhongli! Who is your friend?" A fluffy-eared guy sitting next to the loud one asked. His ear twitched as he asked, tail wagging slightly. 

"Itto, Gorou," Zhongli gestured as he spoke. "This is Childe." 

"Ah hahahaha!" Itto slapped the table, causing everything on it to jump slightly. "What an unusual name!" 

"You've got some very interesting friends," Childe spoke before shoving a piece of bread into his mouth. He had bread, bread, more bread, and maybe an apple from the selection of leftovers. 

"That's no meal for a warrior!" Itto looked at his tray. He had eaten everything except the desert. Breaking it in half, he offered Childe a portion. 

"Thanks." Childe took it. 

"Here, here," Gorou's tail wagged a bit more and he gave Childe some of his fruit. 

"Hm..." a quiet blonde sitting on the other side of Zhongli grabbed the juice on his tray and placed it on Childe's. 

"Thank you...?" 

"Albedo," he spoke quietly, going back to his reading. 

"Aw, is the Geo House adopting other element's house members now?" a very attractive lady walked up to the table. 

"This is Ningguang," Zhongli introduced her. 

"I can see what you were talking about..." Childe muttered, mostly at a loss for words. 

"Aren't you a cutie?" she smiled. "I can see why Zhongli warmed up to you." 

"What?" Childe blinked. 

Zhongli crossed his arms, closing his eyes, letting out a small 'hm.' 

"He hasn't been the type so far to talk to anyone. We've been trying to get him to open up for as long as I can remember," Gorou explained. 

"Speak for yourself," Albedo's quiet voice chimed in. 

"Albedo isn't very friendly either..." Gorou's ears flopped back against his head. "Maybe we're just not interesting enough for the smart people?" 

"Think nothing of it!" Itto slapped Gorou on the back. "Everyone works at their own pace."

A small swirling dot appeared in the front of the cafeteria. No one appeared to notice until it grew bigger and bigger, swirling larger. A person walked out of it, the swirl disappearing behind him. 

"Headmaster Dainsleif..." people whispered amongst each other. "He rarely makes appearances..." More whispers continued. Since the founding of the school, Headmaster Dainsleif (considered one of the ancient beasts along with all of the teachers who are legitimate ancient beasts) only showed up in times of emergency or to make important announcements. He was like an all-seeing god to the students of the school. A mysterious person that they believed knew everything. 

"This year the ancient beasts will choose three students to become archons. The elemental houses are: Anemo, Geo, and Electro." Dainsleif's voice was quieter than Childe thought it would be. He looked more intimidating without speaking. "The students of these houses will have a pressure on them more intense than those of the other houses, but don't allow the choice of the archons to dishearten you." Dainsleif walked around the cafeteria as he spoke. He ran his eyes down all of the students, pausing on Childe. He stopped directly in front of him, everyone's eyes shot lasers into Childe. Dainsleif said nothing and grabbed his cloak. With a movement of his arm, he covered himself, disappearing faster than he had arrived. As he left, Childe heard a voice inside his head say: "Perhaps you should reconsider the element you've chosen. There was a reason for the two reactions." 

"Holy shit! You got looked at directly by the Headmaster!" Gorou stood up, wagging his tail furiously. "That's so cool!" 

"Honorary Geo House member!" Itto crossed his arms, smiling widely. "We only take the best here!" 

The whispering continued throughout the cafeteria. Now the main topic of interest was Childe: the one who caught the Headmaster's eye and who appeared to be getting close to the most unapproachable elemental house.