6

"What is this place?" Childe sat in the center of a stone arena. There were pillars all around the edges and he couldn't see any scenery between them except a dark sky with thousands of constellations twinkling about. They would show up as stars, connect to each other, and disappear, doing the same thing over and over. It was mesmerizing. 

"Where we are is of no concern to you," Dainsleif folded his hands behind his back. 

"Oh...right...this is about what happened when I tried to use magic." 

"It is dangerous to use both elements without having control of either of them," Dainsleif walked to the edge of the stone circle and put his hand up to the constellations. His hand disappeared into them and he pulled out a red mask. "Wear this somewhere on your person, when you do it will absorb any Electro oozing out of you until you are ready to master it." Dainsleif tossed the mask to Childe. 

"So, it'll lock away that part of me then?" 

"You should still practice with Electro; however, not in a place where others might be at risk." 

"What should I do then?" 

Dainsleif waved his hand and an image of a cottage in the middle of the woods showed up. "If you go to this place, you will find a suitable teacher." 

"Where is that?" 

"Here," Dainsleif opened a portal beneath Childe and he fell directly in front of the cottage. 

"Oh no..." 

Childe turned around to see a guy with a rather large hat of some sorts. He dropped the wood in his hands and ran toward the portal. "Dainsleif you fucking bastard! You send him back right now!" He shouted pointing up at the portal but it quickly closed, leaving Childe there. 

"Uhm...hello?" Childe waved awkwardly, staring up at the guy. 

"Goodbye," he stormed into his cottage and slammed the door behind him. 

"Couldn't you at least tell me how to get back to the school?" Childe whined. 

He opened the door and pointed, closing it again. Childe followed the direction he pointed but going into the woods without any guidance felt odd. 

"Uhm..." Childe stood up and went to the door. He knocked lightly. "I don't know who you are but are you able to teach me how to use Electro?" 

"Go away. I'm not home." 

"I just saw you walk in there." 

"Sorry, please leave a message after the tone." 

"I am talking to you." 

"I am not fucking teaching someone again!" he opened the door and glared at Childe. "So leave!" 

"Again?" 

His eyes widened, realizing what he had said, and his hand wavered, but ultimately he closed the door again. "Please leave..." he spoke quietly from behind the door. 

"Okay, I won't ask you to teach me, but could you at least tell me who you are and give me proper directions?" Childe asked. 

"You may call me Scaramouche," he replied, crossing his arms. "There is a path in the direction I pointed earlier. Follow it carefully and it will lead you back to the school. Do not stray from the path. There are wolves in the area." 

"Thank you," Childe nodded and walked off. 

"Ah...wait..." Scaramouche held out his hand to grab Childe but didn't reach far enough. He stopped himself last minute. 

"Hm?" Childe turned around. 

"Come inside..." Scaramouche sighed. "I haven't had visitors in quite some time...have tea with me." He moved to the side and gestured for Childe to enter. 

"Thank you..." Childe entered and looked around. There weren't many furnishings. It was a quiet humble place. Scaramouche went directly to the small kitchen. Childe walked over to a small table resting by the wall. There was a mask with what looked like horns. A black lacey part hung off of it. 

"What are your two elements?" Scaramouche returned with a pot of tea and two cups. "That Dainsleif wouldn't have sent you to me if you had simply wanted to learn Electro. What is your second one?" 

"Hydro..." 

"Tch," Scaramouche clicked his tongue and sat down. Childe sat down as well. He grabbed a cup of tea and blew on it, before taking a sip. "Well if you think I'm going to teach you, I won't." Scaramouche huffed and drank his tea. "Aren't you going to introduce yourself?" 

"Oh. Right. Childe..." 

"Fitting for an idiot like you." 

"Thanks?" 

"Why are you going to that school?" 

"Doesn't everyone want to go to Teyvat?" 

A shadow cast itself over Scaramouche's face. "That place...is not as great as you might think." 

"Are you an ancient beast?" Childe blurted out. 

"What? No," Scaramouche laughed. "I'm..." he paused, not wanting to finish. "Have you heard of the original Electro Archon?" he spoke quietly. 

"Are you...?" 

"No, I'm..." he shook his head. "It's none of your concern. You should leave before it gets dark." 

"Okay..." Childe stood up. 

"Remember, don't stray from the path." 

"Right," Childe nodded. He reached the door and looked over his shoulder. "But what if I find something really interesting?" 

"Then get eaten by wolves for all I care. I'm not going to save you."