Chapter thirty - In their last moments.

Bucky held Amelia in his arms as they jogged their way towards the exit. Amelia tried her best not to cry out in pain, and Bucky tried to run as smoothly as possible, but every stride painfully jolted her ribs and made blood seep out of her open wounds. Bucky couldn't help but to notice to lack of guards, and looked at Steve who pulled the same facial expression that Bucky was pulling. There should be more guards after them. They only ran into a couple after they rescued Amelia. Earlier on they had saw hundreds, so where are they now?

"This is too easy." Bucky muttered, continuing to jog so they didn't waist any time.

"Easy?" Evan said with disbelief, "Non of this was easy!"

"But where are the guards?" Steve joined in on the conversation, equally as confused as Bucky. Before anyone else could even utter another word, the door in the direction ahead of them swiftly swung open and Voronkov stepped out. He had dry blood on his upper lip and chin from Bucky's previous punch and was smiling his grotesque scowl. Then suddenly, a tun of guards crowded together in the cramped corridor like they were wolves cornering their prey.

Evan wasn't even surprised any more. He was scared, but not surprised. "You had to ask." He said, looking at Steve.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this." Voronkov spoke up, a humourless grin plastered on his unseemly face. Bucky gritted his teeth together.

"To what?"

"You're causing too much collateral damage, soldier."

Steve stepped forward protectedly but Voronkov quickly pulled a eerie looking gun out from behind his back pocket and aimed it towards Bucky's head.

"Ah ah." He warned. "Try anything and I'll shoot." Bucky and Steve had never seen a gun like that before, and from the way it looked, they knew it wasn't going to be pleasant. But then again, when was being threatened with a gun ever pleasant?

"You were easy to control at first," Voronkov began again, eyeing Bucky with a cold glare, "but now you're quite frankly starting to piss me off."

"Well, at least now we're even." Bucky responded, giving Voronkov the same cold glare in return. Bucky then walked towards the wall and slowly began to crouch down to put Amelia on the floor, where she would be safer. Which sounded crazy, but it was the truth. If Bucky was to drop her then that would've been incredibly painful for her. Amelia had her eyes open and leaned against the wall for support, looking at Bucky with confusion.

"What are you--?" She paused, staring at him with raised eyebrows but he ignored her and walked back to where he was standing, keeping eye contact with Voronkov. Suddenly, two wide doors burst open and a bunch of men armed in gear came rushing into the room, but to everyone's surprise they aimed their guns towards the men of HYDRA, not at Bucky, Steve, Amelia or Evan.

"Oh, thank god." Evan said with relief once he noticed that they were agents of SHIELD. He now felt safer, but not safe enough.

"Put down your weapons!" They shouted towards Voronkov and his men. Some of his men fought back, but they were not strong enough. One man had his gun kicked straight out of his hand and went flying on the floor into Amelia's direction, but Amelia hardly noticed as she began to cough up blood, catching Bucky's attention. He was tempted to go up to her but he knew any sudden movements could lead to anyone's death.

"We will not ask again." A voice repeated, "You are out numbered. Put down your weapons, now!"

Voronkov just laughed wickedly and continued to aim his gun at Bucky. "You think I would die and give up our best solider to you?" He spat in his rich accent towards the agents of SHIELD. His face was red from rage and he tilted his head sinisterly to the left so you could hear a slight crack. He grinned and pulled back the trigger on his gun, getting ready to fire at any minute.

"PUT YOUR WEAPONS DOWN." You could hear another agent that belong to SHIELD yell impatiently, and more agents began to point their guns towards Voronkov. Evan became more frightened by the second and Steve stood there, not knowing what to do. He was clearly out numbered and didn't want to do anything which resulted in anyone's death.

Amelia sat and watched too, knowing that although guns were pointed threateningly at Voronkov's head, that will no stop him from pulling the trigger. By the time Voronkov had pulled the trigger, Bucky would've been shot and then the agents would have shot Voronkov. But in the end, the result would lead into both their deaths. And Amelia couldn't have Bucky dying.

Bucky stood still, watching Voronkov intensely and bravely. If he was to go like this, then he doesn't want to go down looking weak and fragile. Sure, he could always fight. Move forward to throw another punch at Voronkov or say something to provoke him, but non of that would stop him from pulling the trigger. Any sudden movements and Bucky could be dead.

Amelia couldn't watch this. She couldn't let that happen.

She glanced at the gun that had been thrown onto the floor earlier, and slowly crept towards it while everyone was focused on Bucky and Voronkov.

"You really are ungrateful." Voronkov continued ridiculously at Bucky. "All this time, we thought you were capable at being something. Do you really want those dull memories back? You were nothing before you joined up, Soldier. You were as good as dead."

His words ripped through Bucky like a sword, but he still didn't back down.

"The only thing you're good at is killing, my soldier. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Du bist nichts, Soldat . Sie werden immer be nichts."

Voronkov moved his finger, ready to fire. Everyone near enough closed their eyes when they heard the gunshot. It then went quiet while the shot echoed, and when everyone opened their eyes they were shocked to see that Bucky was still standing. Even Bucky was shocked. He looked down at his chest, seeing nothing, feeling nothing. He furrowed his brows and looked up, but then saw that Voronkov stood their quietly. Although his black gear covered his chest, blood was still visible as it dripped from his clothes and onto the floor. The metal fragments that spiralled through the air, pierced his chest and torso without consideration. The wound in his flesh leaked blood much like the way crying eyes leak tears. And then suddenly, he dropped heavily to his knees, before falling forwards onto his chest with a loud thump.

Everyone stared at his lifeless body for a second or two, before craning their heads to look at the person who had murdered Voronkov.

Amelia sat there, leaning against the wall still, but her arm was raised and her gun was still pointing at the empty space where Voronkov was. She had used the last of her energy to save Bucky, and finally knowing that giving up now was the right time, she dropped her arm and the gun fell onto the ground once again. Her vision became blury and she couldn't hear Bucky's or Evan's voices from the high-pitched ringing that laced her mind. And then finally, her vision began to go dark as she felt her eye lids shut. And the last thing she managed to see was Bucky rushing to her side.

AN: I find this so funny. I was looking through the comments and realised I unintentionally added a reference when Evan said "you had to ask." And guess what? I wrote this before the AOU trailer was even released. I'm sort of cool like that 😂 anyway thanks for reading!