Chapter twelve - A memory.

The next day Bucky had helped train Amelia more fight moves. Bucky fought that she was already well trained, she just needed a little refreshing and needed to learn on her blocks. Besides that she was fine, she could have probably even been an agent.

That night she found it hard to sleep. She wasn't sure why she couldn't sleep, maybe she was still pumped with adrenaline. Instead she stayed up half the night texting Evan. He complained how boring it was to restore all SHIELD data since it was wiped, and then he mentioned that Amelia should visit. Amelia told him that she was busy, but that they would meet soon. Besides that, they talked about anything. Such as movies, or books, or music. She finally went to sleep at half four in the morning, feeling exhausted and her body started to ache more from the training she did with Bucky the morning before.

A loud shriek shatters through Amelia's ear's, causing her to open her eyes hurriedly and sit up. She quickly grabbed her phone of the side and checked the time, seeing that it was nearly seven in the morning. The screaming continued, so she quickly swung her feet out of bed and followed the noise. She knew it was coming from Bucky, but she couldn't understand why he was screaming so loudly at this time in the morning.

She entered the living room and crouched down to the side of the sofa where Bucky was sleeping. She presumed he was having a nightmare and decided to shake him awake. He still continued to scream and Amelia sighed, not really sure on how to wake him up.

"Bucky." She mumbled, gently shaking him again. He let out small cries of pain but still didn't wake. Amelia put her palm to his forehead, noticing that he was boiling hot. She shook him again, this time harder.

"Bucky." She repeats, beginning to get worried that this could be more than a nightmare, "Bucky!"

When he still didn't wake up, Amelia decided to stop shaking him and to slap his cheek hard. He felt the pain of her hand colliding with his cheek and then jerked up, snapping his eyes open in shock. His breathing was heavy and he closed his eyes again, clutching onto his head with his hand in pain.

"Jesus," Amelia muttered, "What happened?"

Bucky didn't reply straight away. He tried to calm his breathing, and Amelia placed a hand on his back reassuringly. 

"I...I remembered something." Bucky told her, his breathing more slow and normal as he spoke. 

"Does it normally hurt when you remember something?"

"I don't know, if I remembered something they would wipe my memory again. I don't remember feeling that much pain."

"...Maybe they always used to inject you with stuff," Amelia suggests, unsure on what to say, "You're like, a super soldier. Surely they injected you with tuns of stuff."

"Hmm." Bucky mumbles in agreement, not having the energy to say anything else. Remembering something shouldn't hurt, even in the slightest, but Amelia was right. They did inject him with loads of chemicals. They upgraded him whenever something new came so that he could be an unstoppable assassin. But now he lived with Amelia, some of the chemicals they inserted in him must be wearing off and HYDRA wasn't here to dose him up again, which is why it hurt so much when fragments of his memory came back, because his brain isn't used to it. He knew not everything would fade. The serum that made him this way would stay with him forever, he knew that for definite.

"So... what did you remember?"

Bucky blinks a few times, her voice grabbing him back to reality. "It was Steve, I think. But he was smaller, and he was being beaten up by some guy-" He paused, trying to grasp the memory, "Then I came and punched the guy that was hitting Steve."

"You saved his ass. Remember you were both pretty good mates back then," Amelia said, "How do you feel?"

"Besides the headache?" Because starts, glancing over at her and smiling slightly, "Good." He admits, pleased with the memory he had gotten. He had received more than one memory, and he furrows his eyebrows together, trying to place the other memory he forgot to mention, "There's another- I think I was setting off a bomb in someone's home."

"Huh?" Amelia looks at him, confused.

"I think it was one of my missions." Bucky answered. It would make sense. He had done loads of missions for HYDRA that they had wiped his memory off.

"Well, we don't need to think about that. That wasn't you, that wasn't your life." She tells him, which was true. It wasn't me, he thought, but it was my life at the time.

Amelia yawns, realising she only got about two hours sleep.

"Sorry for waking you." Bucky apologizes, noticing her yawn. She smiles at him.

"It's fine. Do you want to sleep in my bed for the rest of the morning?" She offers politely, but Bucky shakes his head no.

"I'm not so tired anymore, you can go back to bed."

"You sure?"

"Of course I'm sure."

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Yes." Bucky answers, rolling his eyes. Amelia smiles and lets out a chuckle.

"Okay sorry. Do you know how to work the TV properly? I don't want to come down here to you watching another boring animal documentary again."

"Yes I do, now stop worrying and go to sleep."

"Fine, okay." She finally stands up, saying bye to Bucky before leaving to go back to bed.