Part 23: there it is again (that funny feeling)

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI. There are also TFATWS and Ant Man dialogue references in here ;)

Bucky leads them back down to the apartment. He's quietly seething the whole way down the stairs. Alice can tell. His footsteps are heavier, more menacing, making the wood beneath his feet whine with every step. His rage makes her nervous, and she wonders if he's angry with her. Once they're inside and she can see Bucky's face, all she sees is fear. It breaks her heart.

Steve looks around and takes a deep breath as his friend closes the door behind them. As Steve looks around the apartment, Alice feels a tap on her shoulder. Steve's friend takes off his goggles and offers her a warm, inviting smile. He's charming and sweet-looking. Alice can't help but smile back.

"Hey, I appreciate you calming him down and taking the time to talk to us. I know this isn't how any of us wanted it to go down."

"Definitely not," Alice chuckles. "But thanks for not killing either of us."

"I'm Sam Wilson."

"Alice Duncan," she replies. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Likewise."

He sticks out his hand and Alice shakes it, smiling at him while Bucky lingers by the kitchen looking nervous. Steve approaches and offers his hand to Alice.

"Steve Rogers."

"I figured you wouldn't need an introduction," she laughs.

He shrugs, smiling. He's cute, much cuter in person, she thinks.

"Well, my ma always taught me to be polite." He smiles. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Alice."

"Ditto." She decides to take charge of the situation since Bucky still looks tense, his shoulders up near his ears. She has no idea what to do in a situation like this, but she knows the key is to get everyone talking. There will be no standoffs and no punches thrown on her watch - unless Steve and Sam decide to cross a line, that is. Then, she can't really be held accountable for the actions of a giant super soldier with a metal arm. She might just help him beat their asses if they go too far.

But for now, civility reigns. Alice gestures to the sofa.

"Please. Sit."

She walks over to Bucky and reaches for his hands.

"Hey. You with me, gorgeous?"

He nods. Alice holds back the urge to whimper. Instead, she presses herself against him and feels his massive hands around her waist.

"It's okay to be scared. But I'm here, okay?" She lowers her voice to a whisper, fully aware that Sam and Steve are staring at them, and strokes Bucky's cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too," he says softly. "I didn't know your last name was Duncan."

She grins.

"Now you do."

She takes his hand and leads him to where Steve and Sam are standing.

"Have you been here long?" Steve asks Bucky, who doesn't answer. He's still angry - not at her, just at the situation. Alice can see it in his eyes whenever he looks at Steve. He doesn't trust two out of the four people in this room, and everybody knows it. Sam looks nervous. He keeps his eye on Bucky's left hand, taking in the sheer size of him. Bucky studies them both - even the smallest movement doesn't go unnoticed.

But maybe this conversation could be good for him. They said they didn't want to hurt him, which probably means they don't want to send him to prison.

"We just got here," Alice says softly as she wrings her hands nervously. "This morning."