Part 38: state of grace

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI

Sam and Bucky have one last session before Sam flies back to Louisiana for a week to spend time with his sister and his nephews for a birthday. Bucky seems sad at Sam's absence, but tries to keep it to himself. He's not very good at it. He becomes moody around Steve, eats dinner in his and Alice's room, and spends more time with Alpine. Alice gives him his space, but he still reaches for her when he needs her.

Sam gave Alice some of the art supplies so that Bucky can work on his own, but Bucky says it's not the same without Sam there. He tries, but his coloring is messier, almost like he's regressing. It's not entirely hopeless, though. Alice knows that, and she knows Sam will be back. Sam is the person he's more comfortable with with his mental health stuff. Bucky trusts Alice with other things. She doesn't take it personally. She doesn't really have a right to.

Bucky still is not at a place where he's able to talk to Alice about some of the things he did as the Winter Soldier. She respects that, but she wishes he would continue his therapy on his own.

Bruce and Tony are in the lab in between Tony trying to get in touch with someone named Shuri from some place called Wakanda. Alice has never even heard of it before, but then again, she doesn't spend much time watching the news and has never really left her little bubble in Vegas until now. Her ignorance is mostly her fault. Steve tells her it's an amazing place. He shows her a few pictures on his phone while Bucky is in the gym. It looks beautiful.

"They would really help him?"

"I don't know," Steve replies. "But I hope so."

This morning, Alice and Bucky are in the lounge. Steve went with Tony to Wakanda to meet with Shuri about Bucky's situation. Bruce is in the lab, working (as always), so they have the run of the 10th floor for now.

They're watching a movie, sprawled out on the couch with pillows, blankets, and their now cold coffees sitting on the table in front of them. Bucky is rubbing Alice's calves, using both hands. They're watching Jurassic Park (again), but she's barely paying attention to the movie because his hands are magical, massaging out all of the knots and sore spots she's developed since she started dancing more regularly again. Her knee is almost completely healed. There's only a bit of swelling that happens when she works it too hard. Otherwise, it's like nothing ever happened.

She moans softly and tilts her head back as his thumbs dig into a particularly tender spot just below her knee. Bucky stops and assesses her. She nods, a silent indicator for him to keep going.

"I can't believe you actually like doing this," she laughs.

"What? Massaging your legs?"

"Yeah."

Bucky shrugs and grins.

"I like to make you happy." His eyes darken and a devilish smile creeps across his face. "In more ways than one."

"Cheeky."

"Mmm." He lifts up her bare leg and kisses it softly. "Alice, making you make those sounds is my favorite thing in the world."

She giggles and twirls her hair around her finger.

"You're a little bit of a submissive, you know that, right?"

"What's that mean?"

"Like, sexually. You like to please me."

"Doesn't every guy?"

She shakes her head.

"Most of them just like to chase their own orgasm; don't really care about their partner."