Part 28: let it out and let it in

18+ WARNING MINORS DNI

The next morning, Alice and Bucky sit in the kitchen eating cereal. The storm has passed and the sun shines in through the windows, brightening up the entire room. Alice feels better today, and by the looks of it, Bucky does too. His free hand roams up and down her thigh, occasionally squeezing her knee and tickling her until she laughs so hard she drops her spoon, letting it clang into her bowl.

"You look good in my shirts," he says in that soft, low, rumbling voice that gives her goosebumps.

"Sorry for stealing this one. I was cold."

New York is fucking freezing compared to Vegas and Alice hasn't figured out a way to control the heat, so she's in two pairs of leggings, a t-shirt, and Bucky's blue Henley. Bucky isn't bothered by the cold, or the heat for that matter.

Bucky picks her up off her chair and drags her onto his lap like a ragdoll. He's so strong that she doesn't really have a choice. Once Bucky has his mind set on picking her up, he's going to accomplish his task.

"I can warm you up later," he purrs.

Alice giggles. Their morning started off a little chaotic, so it's nice to have these light moments.

Bruce knocked on their door around 7:00am and told Bucky he still needs a few more days with the brain scans that he's recorded. He'll isolate the code words and try to figure out a way to start the deprogramming process without triggering the Winter Soldier. Apparently, that's the hard part.

Bucky is worried that it's a nearly impossible task.

Their next session is on Friday. More memory work and some therapy. Bruce wants it to be a one-on-one thing. Bucky was reluctant at first, but Alice managed to convince him to agree to it. It'll be good for him.

He seems relieved to not have to go back down to the basement for a back to back session, but that also means they're tasked with finding something to do today, and neither of them are comfortable venturing from the 10th floor.

Bucky has already worked out while Alice went for a swim and took a scalding hot shower to ease her muscles. Bucky joined her, letting her wash his hair and scrub his back while she placed soft kisses on his skin. She took the opportunity to run her hands all over his body, kissing every scar as she went. He let her, sighing into her touch. He's softening more and more every day.

The little bubble they've created is magical.

Alice's bare feet dangle off of the stool as she scrolls through her phone, texting Sapphire and giggling at their stupid inside jokes about the club while simultaneously catching up on her Instagram feed. Bucky looks up at her every time she laughs, his eyes twinkling.

"What?" She asks.

"You have a cute laugh."

"Thanks," she whispers, blushing a little.

He puts his hand on her thigh and gently squeezes as he goes back to reading.

Alice continues to scroll through her phone. She's been using it less lately, preferring to listen to Bucky read aloud until she falls asleep on his chest, or watch a movie before bed. She's got missed messages from some of her regulars and shoots them back with quick explanations for her absence. Most of them are vague, but they accept her answer for just needing a vacation.

Chris is the only one who knows about Bucky.

Sapphire told me ur on a road trip with your bf. How's America?

Scenic 🤪 But it's good. I'm having fun.

Good. Miss u.

She smiles.