Wattpad Original

Chapter 44

The truck slowed down as we approached the gate.

Nicky leaned over the side to look at the Stronghold, which looked fairly similar to the previous places. It had a tall chain-link fence and a bunch of buildings all clustered together, as well as guard towers with occupants holding guns, of course.

"I wonder if this is a quiet village-style Stronghold or one of those insane places that resembles the back alleys of Los Angeles?" Nicky pondered aloud.

As we slowed down, we could hear two women screeching at each other at the top of their lungs inside the Stronghold in some sort of intense disagreement.

Nicky rolled her eyes and muttered, "Hello, city limits."

My already-sinking optimism sunk even further.

Several people came outside as the quarrel inside subsided. "Hello, what brings you to- Wait. He's a zombie!"

They stared at Daniel, not running away, but certainly not coming any closer.

"We're from Ironwind Stronghold to the north," Daniel said with remarkable patience. "The third wave is coming early, and a cure was recently discovered."

"A cure?" one man asked in growing suspiciousness.

"Yes."

All four people started backing up, their distrust more apparent now than it had been before.

Nina called, "We just spoke with Giles from Riverbend Stronghold. He says hi."

"He can say hi all he wants. We aren't going to touch no mystery drugs."

By this time, they had reached the gate and slipped back inside, firmly closing it behind them and sliding the bolts to lock it. Had it been a wooden gate, this might have been more effective, but with just a chain-link fence, we could still see each other, which really diminished the effect of such an action.

Nina tried again. "Some people inside are likely infected. They'll start sneezing in a few days." She murmured to us, "Some are infected, right?"

"More than a few," I replied, watching the tower guards who didn't seem overly fond of our presence anymore.

"If you want, we can leave the vials of cure here for when they start sneez-"

"Go away! We don't want your drugs! Vaccines started all of this – we'll survive without them!"

"I think we just found one of the anti-vaccinator encampments," Nicky muttered. "The only way we're getting in is if Daniel and Trinity pull the fence down."

"What are you going to do with the people who start sneezing?" Nina asked them, raising her voice slightly to be sure they heard her.

"Isolate them or send them outside the fence, of course. Now go away!"

The last place had been reluctant, but they had heard us out. This place was something else. And they clearly weren't about to let us in.

Remembering the last Stronghold, I decided to issue an ultimatum to see just how serious they were. I raised my voice so they and most inside would be able to hear me. "Fine. If you don't want to welcome us in, we don't have to waste our time here. You now know the wave is coming early, so when you and a hundred of your friends start sneezing, you can drive to Ironwind and hope they have enough of the cure on hand for all of you."

My subtle threat of doom didn't faze them. "Get a grip. If we won't accept it from you, we aren't about to travel for it!"

I bristled at his tone and muttered, "I wonder if wrapping my hands around their throats counts as getting a grip."