Wattpad Original

Chapter 55

The leader led us to the dining hall, which was deserted at this late hour. Several platters of food were spread across a large square table with just enough plates for our group. I sat on a bench and bit back a growl when Dustin immediately sat beside me.

I gritted my teeth, but before I could say anything, Nicky tapped him on the shoulder. "Move over, bucko. That's my seat."

He made a face but slid down one spot to sit on the end of the bench. Nicky promptly occupied the seat he'd vacated.

"Thanks," I murmured. Her intervention had likely just saved him from a scathing lecture about giving people their personal space – something that would be utterly lost on the redhead.

Nicky flashed me a quick grin before examining the piles of food as she tried to figure out what she wanted to take first. People started passing the platters around.

My plate remained empty, and I just passed everything to Nicky, who was taking more than enough to make up for my lack.

Dustin noticed my empty plate. "Honest, I didn't poison it. Please help yourself."

And that's the first thing he says? So reassuring... "I'll pass. I'm not hungry."

"Come on, don't be that way. Uncle will have my hide if you don't eat."

"Then you better start running because I'm not hungry."

The leader smirked a bit at my response, and I was pretty sure he was the uncle. My nose only reinforced this suspicion.

I raised an eyebrow at the older man. "Are you planning on forcing this issue?"

The leader wisely shook his head. "No. I know many travelers pack their own food, and I've met a few with severe allergies."

I gave a vague nod of agreement and didn't reply, letting the discussion drop.

Confusion crossed John's face. "Now that I think of it, you didn't eat anything at breakfast or lunch."

Why are over-observant veterinarians always making comments at the worst times? I didn't really care if John figured things out, but this place had no idea I had more in common with Daniel than with anyone else at the table.

I brushed the question aside with an idle shrug, acting as if I wasn't mentally berating the latest member of our group. "I prefer to eat at other times."

Daniel smirked around a mouthful of fried fish, and even Nicky glanced at me in response to that lame excuse.

"No one's going to judge you about what you eat. Even he's eating," Dustin said, gesturing toward Daniel.

Daniel gave the lad a long look for dragging him into this conversation, which the annoying youth didn't even notice.

"Then ignore what I'm not eating," I tartly informed him.

"If this is about the bucket of water, I'm sorry, all right?" his exasperated tone at complete odds with his words. "No sense letting good food go to waste."

I exhaled slowly as I fought to keep my temper in check. "Drop it, kid."

"I'm not a kid," he immediately objected in a tone better suited for a sulking child, "and stop being such a drama queen."

Anger rippled through my mind as my instincts reared up in indignation. I clenched my teeth to keep from snarling at him. My fingers itched to slash him for his insolence.

Daniel growled a warning at the offending youth as his eyes flashed a much brighter red. That made Dustin flinch and go pale. Logan tensed, and his eyes flickered between Daniel, me, and Dustin, as if expecting blood to be spilled.