Wattpad Original

Chapter 56

I returned to the Stronghold before the sky started to lighten. The gentle breeze still occasionally disturbed a few bells, which made it easier to get over the fence undetected.

As I approached the cabin door, I let my footsteps become audible. Startling Daniel awake would likely result in a snarl, which wasn't exactly the kind of entrance I wanted to make.

I opened the door and wasn't surprised to see Daniel gazing in my direction in the darkness. Logan and John were wrapped up in their sleeping bags and sound asleep on the floor. The couch was empty, so Nina and Nicky must have opted to use the beds.

I walked over to the couch and stretched out on it as if I'd been here all night. Even better, it was warm enough in here that a sleeping bag wasn't really needed, which would lead to fewer questions. This would probably throw Logan for a loop since the idea of zombies laying down had probably never crossed his mind, but I was mostly doing it to confuse John.

I was curious to see how many days I could hide under the radar without him figuring out the riddle. My ability to blend in was a bit more hampered now that I didn't eat food, but I hadn't growled or snarled yet, which was a miracle after yesterday's events.

Daniel remained silent as the sun gradually rose above the horizon. Once my instincts settled, I napped until the men started stirring, which wasn't very long. Logan must be used to waking with the sun during his travels. I remained where I was and pretended to sleep while the men rolled up their sleeping bags.

Logan gave me an odd look before glancing at Daniel, who continued to ignore my act. Daniel knew there was no way I could sleep with them moving around, and Logan likely suspected it too.

Nicky stretched and yawned as she came out of the back room in her pajamas. When she spotted me laying on the couch, she blinked and a grin appeared on her face. As if participating in a re-enactment of How To Die Young, she started tiptoeing closer.

"What exactly do you think you're doing?" I asked, turning my head to face her.

Nicky groaned as her shoulders slumped. "You take all the fun out of things. I should've known you were awake."

"The way you were tromping around? No one can sleep through that." I sat up.

She shrugged. "Well, Nina did." She asked Daniel, "Do you want to wake her, or should I?"

He rose to his feet. "I think it's safer for everyone if I do it."

Apparently, Daniel didn't want to see what kind of wake-up call Nicky might come up with. He knocked on Nina's door. "Nina, the rest of us are awake."

Her sleepy voice came from within. "I'll be out shortly."

Nicky yawned again and paused when she saw her reflection in a wall mirror. "Can someone please tell me why it's called beauty sleep? My hair looks like something out of one of those troll movies."

Like any wise man, Logan remained silent when faced with a loaded question about a woman's appearance.

John apparently had a few life lessons to learn and helpfully supplied the answer. "It's called beauty rest because the skin begins repairing itself after about seven hours of sleep, which reduces wrinkles and removes the puffiness from around your eyes."

Nicky gave him a long look. A very long look. "Uh-huh. And just what does that have to do with my hair knitting itself into a pyramid-shaped gordian knot while I sleep?"

Belatedly realizing her earlier words had been a rhetorical question, John scratched his head. "Errr, have you tried braiding it when you go to bed?"

Interrupting any response Nicky might have had, Daniel said, "If anyone wants a shower, you better figure out who's going first. I'll go check if the cooks are willing to send some food with us. We can eat as we drive."